1991 cajun 162zw(operation make it float)

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman
Hey fellas been reading this site for a while and would like to say it is an awesome and very helpful place. So anyway here it is this is my first boat and the boat was a gift from my dad and it sat for about 5 years in a barn .
so I did some research on it and found the transom was goo so I scooped it out which was very tedious I might add , tested the stringers in several areas and they were dry and solid ordered 10 gal. of nidabond and then I found the transom supports were goo as well sooo, off the top came and then I found the center stringer was rotten (the only one I had no access to with the top on) and the deck that was right under the batt. box and live well.
Next I pulled that part of the deck and removed the foam , the foam had some moisture but not really wet . I was wondering if this foam is structural and needed to be there or can I put just the pink foam boards in from HD.
I will attempt to post picks so bear with me as I am a rookie at this ,thanks in advance guys.IMG_0430.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0513.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0516.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1991 cajun 162zw(operation make it float)

Welcome to iboats.

Your foam was NOT structural and yes the pink or blue boards from home depot/lowes will work. Yes the nida bond can repair the stringers and the transom if you have enough .......... if not cut the stringer from 3/4 ply and laminate 2 pieces together.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Cool thanks Bob, also would it be a good idea to drill some drains for the area between the stringers ?

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have used the end of a plastic spoon as a shaping tool and made sure there were no way for things to catch or water to stand still..... then actually "routed water" through the stringers in multiple places....... just be certain the inside of the holes are also sealed.

The hard foam 2" stuff from the box store lets water flow freely too.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Thanks again , this project at times has me feeling Im in over my head so the advise at this site helps so much. :)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Take lots of picture...... ask for advice anytime ;)

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Well I called nidabond today to find out where my order was and guess the holidays put them behind or something so it did not ship yet, so I canceled the order seeing that I already had the top off I think I will just build a new transom out of ply .
I looked at lowes for some outdoor rated ply and all they had was some kind of chip board that was made for flooring and was water resistant is this ok or not ? also the center stringer is just a 2x4 was totally rotten because they left the ends open ,so do I replace it with pressure treated or ply ? and when you laminate the plys what material do you use . Thanks....William

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Don't use the flooring OSB (chip board) for your transom, stick with marine grade plywood for that, you can also laminate two layers of the MG for your stringers in place of the 2 x 4's, now as far as PT, there are LOTS of opinons on here about that.(not saying anthing good or bad about it) If you want a lasting job stick with the marine grade and glass it in good, it'll last for years to come.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

awesome thanks Cadwelder, got most of the deck out tonight and the stringers on the sides are like new and sealed up very good just the center one is bad so I will replace it with ply . thanks again . I cant wait to be done with grinding and sanding so I can start to put her back together .

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Grinding is the worst part but extremely important for a good bond. Don't forget the tyvex suite and respirator.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

ok got all the foam loose , what is the stringer in the center of the hull for ? It is not tied to anything else . also when I build the transom whats the best way to laminate the two pieces of ply together resin or liquid nails or something ? thanks William

DSC_0337 (800x536).jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The center stringer is the main support for the hull, important part of the structure. I use a layer of 1.5 oz CSM and resin between the two layers of ply, with some even pressure on them to keep them nice and flat until they cure. Note: be sure you have some good support under that hull to maintain it's shape, once the stringers are out it will become very flimsy and easy to distort.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Just a question for you all who have done a transom, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using PL to adhere the transom to hull ? I should be getting my resin and glass today and want to get this thing going together this weekend . Thanks

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Set the plywood in against the transom with resin and mat, 3 or so layers of 1.5 oz matt should be okay depending on how flat the skin is. Maybe some others will chime in here too.

clint243

Cadet

Hey man I see that you were gonna use nida bond ....I was too but I went with sea cast ..it was actually cheaper and their customer support is amazing ....the product itself is very easy to use....and if you have not already set on ply I would go with sea cast ...and I just happen to have 5 gallons that is un opened that I can will be more than happy to pass along at a great to price to help a fellow boater out

Clint

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Hey thanks Clint for the offer but I do have the transom made out of ply and I just got my resin from us composites today. I also noticed that the resin (435) poly says mix at 1% mekp but everywhere Ive read to use at least 2% can someone shed some light on this for me please I'm going to get started tomorrow . Thanks

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

1.5 - 2% is the norm.... I would think 1% would be tuff to cure out unless it's 100 degrees outside. I've played around with it a good bit, the colder the conditions the more MEKP you'll have to add. Above 70 degrees is ideal but we don't always have that luxury...... Don't know what part of the country your in, but if it's real cold, Oops has a good post about glassing in cold temps, you can search and find it.

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Thanks Cadwelder, just got all my glass cut and I'm almost ready to get going , got the stove going in the shop to get it warmer but still wont get it to 70 maybe 55-60 its about 30 out today in northern va. would PL premium be a stronger bond between the transom and hull or no ?

Mrkoolbreeze

Seaman

Ok transom is in , 3 layers of 1.5 csm and cranked up the wood stove and diesel heater :)IMG_0568.jpgIMG_0571.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good man. Are you going to need all those holes that you have the clamps installed with?