2002mercury 75 hp...... stator going out??

lilmomo225

Cadet
i have a '02 mercury 75. when running is putting out around 13 volts, when i turn on gps/depth finder, and all other electronics voltage drops to 11 volts. is there anything that i can do to keep the voltage around 14 while running to charge both batteries?
thanks for everyones time and input.

lilmomo225

Cadet
Re: 2002mercury 75 hp...... stator going out??

is there like a high output stator or anything else i can do to keep them both charged or is the switch my only option?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Is this a 2 or 4 stroke? If it a 2 stroke the output is going to be lower than the 4 stroke so install a "charge on the run" unit. No switches, when 1st battery has reached charge limit voltage is sent to 2nd battery. I install these all the time on tourneyment fishermen boats and F/S inboards.
http://www.dualpro.com/store/items/10/49/

Your motor puts out 16 amps at wot, if you put an isolator along with a battery switch you could keep both batteries charged at all times. I would recommend isolate your starting battery only for your engine and have all of your components on a sufficial deep cycle battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What other electronics are you talking about. Neither a GPS or a Locator use any significant power. Since you have two batteries, do you have a dual battery switch, isolator, ACR, VSR or any combination of these. If you simply have the two batteries connected permanently in parallel, one of those batteries is probably bad. Disconnect them from each other and run one at a time. That motor should have no trouble keeping two batteries charged unless one of them is connected to a trolling motor and it gets deeply discharged. Remember too, that if that is the case, then making longer runs will likely see the voltage come up the longer you run. Batteries do not charge in a short run back to the dock. As another test, shut the engine off and then measure battery voltage. It may measure 12.6 volts with no load, but the minute you add a load one bad battery in the system will quickly drop the voltage. I happen to have that same engine and can run a locator, radio, and live well pumps (timed) and lights with no hint of the "starting" battery getting weak. Even my 40 HP Evinrude with a 12A alternator had no trouble with the same accessory load.

lilmomo225

Cadet

i just bought the boat from my cousin, he had 2 deep cycles hooked in parallel for starting and electronics. it has 2 other deep cycles up front for trolling motor. i went on a 3 or 4 hour ride the other day and at WOT with GPS and radio on voltage would drop to around 11. so i bought a starting battery and a deep cycle for electronics and a "charge on the go" unit that faztbullet suggested and that should be here tuesday. when it does im going to hook that up and wait for a nice day to go test it again.......Silvertip have you had any troubles with that 75??