1965 Chris Craft Corsair

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just picked up a Chris Craft Corsair for free.:D The registraion says it is a 1965 16' outboard. Centerline measures 15' 2" and max beam of 80" and a 20" transom. The boat needs some cosmetic work but is pretty cool. The bow light is integrated into the bow.

The PO rewired the whole boat (correctly, I might add), along with replacing the old cable steering with all new cables. There is no HIN or Coast Guard plate, according to the paperwork. The PO said he wanted an I/O and that I could have it, if I was willing to come get it.

No trailer or motor, but thats ok with me. Does any one know what model this is or hp capacity? I have a couple of motors, just don't know what to use.:rolleyes:

Red Leader

Recruit
Re: 1965 Chris Craft Corsair

Just picked up a Chris Craft Corsair for free.:D The registraion says it is a 1965 16' outboard. Centerline measures 15' 2" and max beam of 80" and a 20" transom. The boat needs some cosmetic work but is pretty cool. The bow light is integrated into the bow.

The PO rewired the whole boat (correctly, I might add), along with replacing the old cable steering with all new cables. There is no HIN or Coast Guard plate, according to the paperwork. The PO said he wanted an I/O and that I could have it, if I was willing to come get it.

No trailer or motor, but thats ok with me. Does any one know what model this is or hp capacity? I have a couple of motors, just don't know what to use.:rolleyes:

My dad bought one in 1968 at the Lake of the ozarks in Missouri, it had a Johnson Super Sea Horse 60HP on it. The boat did not plain very well and was a rough rider with the pretty much flat bottom. In 1971 he purchased a new Johnson 125 HP, we reinforced the transom with fiberglass and never had a problem. I think she ran about 45mph with the 125 on it. we spent may fun weekends on the Mississippi racing mark twains with mercurys. 45mph was pretty fast back then.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply, the boat is at our place at the lake waiting for the weather to break. The wife and I decided to give it to my 14 year old daughter (who just passed her safe boating course), for a reward for good grades and helping with younger sisters. She doesn't know about it yet, kinda of a surprise for when we head to the lake for the summer. For now, I'm gonna throw a 35 hp super sea horse that I just finished going thru and is running well. I think that should be plenty of motor for her. Obviously, the wife and I will go out with her and make sure she knows our safety standards.

Red Leader

Recruit

That's great I'm sure she will be excited. I have some photos of that boat if your interested I'll scan them and forward them on. Probably need your email as I'm not sure how to attach files on this site. I think I have a photo of me driving the boat solo for the first time and I was about 14. That would be 41 years ago. let me know if your interested, have fun with her this summer.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RL, I would love to see the pics just send them to me in a PM. Thanx, Ross