Mounting riggers on a Lund Rebel....

aqua_spud

Cadet
I recently picked up a 2008 Lund Rebel xl Sport and I'd like to mount some Cannon easy troll downriggers to it.

The boat has the thin gunwales on it. It does have the Sportrak and Protrak system but it looks to narrow for a rigger plate platform off of those.
Wondering what some are doing about mount options....

Thanks!

kahuner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mounting riggers on a Lund Rebel....

When I started fishing with downriggers, on Lk Mich. I fished out of a 16' Lund w/ a 63" beam. Had the time of my life catching King Salmon up to 30#. Didn't know what I was doing...... at all(!) so I used my walleye rods w/ 8# test line. I can't tell you how many I had to chase the fish down to get some line back on my reel!! My landing net was only good for the first fish as hoop/ net bent at a 90* angle to the handle! Had a blast! I wasn't laughing then, but as I look back; I chuckle about it now!!

I mounted my riggers, one on each side of the boat on a 2" X 6" piece of pine that spaned the beam of the boat w/ a 3" or so overhang. I secured the board to the boat with 3/8" bolts in the oar locks. That way they could easily be removed and the each person in front or the person had access to each rod/ rigger. Also kept the downrigger cables away from the prop.

Hope this helps!!
Kahuner

aqua_spud

Cadet
Re: Mounting riggers on a Lund Rebel....

Thanks Kahu.

I may go that route. I also see that Scotty offers a nice raised mount in 6-12"...could be mounted down low on the floor and be high enough for rigger use.

Best.
F.