Winner - Donzi F-23

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
I've been searching for my new/used boat for a while now and have narrowed down to two favorites. I'm hoping to hear some opinions from people who have some experience with these models to help assist with my decision making process. Boat have solid decks and transoms. Any advice, positive or negative, is greatly appreciated. Once I pick the boat I WILL get it surveyed.

1990 Donzi F-23 - List price $5,500, Offered $3,800

Length.jpg

Deck.jpg

cabin.jpg

Positives
It's a Donzi
OB on bracket
Wide 9 foot beam
Very clean
Six years newer than the Wellcraft
Bimini with full canopy

Negatives:
Virtually no info on the web about this model
Motor being sold as "Not Running"
No trailer
Hasn't been wet in 6 years

1989 Wellcraft 230 Coastal - List Price $7000, offered $6,500

10765403_102_080920091747_3.jpg

10765403_102_080920091746_1.jpg

10765403_102_080920091746_2.jpg

Positives
Newer Trailer in mint condition
Motor is old but runs strong
Bimini with full canopy
Nice rocket launcher
Complete service records
New steering and throttle cables

Negatives
1 year older than the Donzi
Transom is cut for the OB
Not much info on these models and I don't know much about Wellcraft

I guess when I list the pros and cons the Wellcraft looks better, but there's something about that Donzi that I really like! I'm not asking which boat which boat I should buy, cause clearly I'm the only one that can answer that, just want some opinions on the models. Thanks in advance guys!

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Down to two! Donzi F-23 - Wellcraft 230 Coastal

Well, IMO you have two good choices. I don't know much about Donzi besides it has a great boat building reputation. I'm not much of an engine person so if he motor is not "running" that does that mean? Bad ignition, blown head gasket, bad crank, bad cyliners? Can you do a pressure test or leak down test on it prior to buying? It may be newed than the Wellcraft, but, no trailer and bad motor? Eh, I personally would stay away.

Regarding Wellcraft, they are known now for the sport fishing boats. If you remember Miami Vice, the boats used on that show were "Scarabs" which were Wellcraft's premier sport boats. I have a friend who has owned a Wellcraft Ecplise for over 12 years and it has been a great boat. It may be older but, trailer, running, etc.

I would probably go with the Wellcraft, but again, thats me. Good Luck, let us know what you end up choosing.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Was the Donzi set up with a bracket from the factory? I'm curious what the bracket looks like. Is it a Sea Drive?

Both hulls look like they can handle some rough seas, the Wellcraft more so with the bow flare to keep spray down. The Wellcraft probably drafts more than the Donzi from the look of it.

The Donzi looks like it has a great self-bailing hull with the raised helm deck. Also a nice baitwell. Plus like you said, it's a Donzi. Both are cool boats, but the OB conversion on the Wellcraft would make me favor the Donzi.:D

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I think they are both almost equal. My personal preference would lean to the Wellcraft as I haven't really ever developed a fondness for Donzi. Survey both and choose according to your needs. Fishing and rough water is Wellcraft. See me in protected waters is Donzi. Compare the weight of both boats and I would guess the 3' shorter Wellcraft is still built heavier than the other.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Okay, you're in the Northeast, so neither boat is going anywhere for awhile :)

If I really couldn't see a clear winner between the two, I'd make low offers on both of them (say, $2500 on the Donzi, $5k on the Wellcraft) contingent on a survey, make sure 1. the sellers have my contact info, 2. know I'm serious, 3. know I'm actively shopping, then... go home.

Keep shopping while you wait for the phone to ring. I bet it will.

My .02

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The F series Donzi was only built a couple of years before Donzi went bankrupt and was sold to OMC.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I do not know much about Donzi. Wellcrafts are good built boats. I would have a survey done regardless. Wood rots and is not as much fun to rebuild what you thought was a good boat

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Guess which one I like?

veilside180sx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love those Wellcraft hulls

sasto

Captain

My heart goes to the Donzi......my head to the Wellcraft.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

My heart goes to the Donzi......my head to the Wellcraft.
Kind of my sentiment, as well. Whichever one does the best after a survey would be the winner.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, so I drove down and took a look at both boats this weekend. It didn't help that we got 3-4 inches of snow though!! I do have to tell you all, the Donzi really impressed me. You can tell this boat was well taken care of. Absolutely spotless (minus the snow). The cabin was really clean, minus a few rust stains on one cushion from an anchor. Has tons of storage and it has an auto pilot system. It absolutely blew the Wellcraft away. I really didn't like the wellcrafts cut transom which didn't look like it was sealed properly. The motor looked hammered. Spider cracks all over the hull, and there really wasn't much fishing room at all. The trailer was brand new though. The OB bracket along with the 9 foot beam makes the Donzi feel much, much larger even though they are both 23 foot boats.

I talked with the manager who is selling the Donzi for the owner. Apparently they have done all the work on the boat and have all service records. The boat lived there every winter and was always shrink wrapped. He told me that he knows the motor needs a new flywheel, that the magnets fell off?? Says it's a $800 part and he thinks that's all the motor needs but unfortunately they stopped servicing Johnson's this year and won't diagnose it which is why they are selling it as "Not Running". He said they sell $10 kits to glue the magnets back on, which would let me know if that was the only issue. The boat originally listed for $8,500, someone offered $5,500 two months ago and the owner accepted. The buyer never came up with the cash, so they just left the asking price $5,500. I offered $3,800 and said I could come up with the cash within 24 hours of a "good" survey, so we will see.

Here are some more pictures of the Donzi from today:
(Apparently the F-23 was offered with an I/O or OB on a bracket, so this is a factory bracket)

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Some more:

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thumbs up on getting a survey. Love that boat, even has rod holders in the cabin.:D

I was a bit concerned about the Wellcraft once I saw that it was an OB conversion.

Good luck to ya!

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad to hear you were able to take a close look. You certainly need to go with the boat that you feel more comfortable with. Another point, even had you chosen to buy the welcraft and if anything went wrong, you probably would have found youseld saying "darn it, I should have gone with the DONZI."

Good Luck, Hope You Get. Keep us informed!

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Good luck!
I hate to see that snow accumulating in the boat, though.

Triton II

Commander

Good luck. Bear in mind a new trailer will cost plenty (but do you need one?) and if nothing else, get the motor checked over by a tech - if it's just the rotor magnets then you've got yourself a great boat - she looks to be in great nick! :)

TII

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Good luck!
I hate to see that snow accumulating in the boat, though.

I second that sentiment. It obviously has been well kept until now. Is this a trade-in?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You do realize that you'll need a permit to tow a boat with a 9' beam...right?

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

You do realize that you'll need a permit to tow a boat with a 9' beam...right?

Yeah, that's why I had the 9' beam in the negative category. I was talking to the dealer about that and his place will trailer your boat to boat to your marina, launch it, and tie the boat up in your slip for less that $250. So I don't think a trailer would be a top priority. I would want one eventually, but I'd search craigslist for a steal.

I second that sentiment. It obviously has been well kept until now. Is this a trade-in?

I wasn't too happy about the snow in it either, but they don't have a cover as the boat was always shrink wrapped when stored. They removed the wrap when she went up for sale. It was not a trade in, the dealer doesn't actually own the boat. They are selling it for the owner (who was one of their customers) who lost interest in boating and apparently is collecting cars now...