Frak.....cut through my hull with a reciprocating saw

Badweed

Seaman
Yup, so I did. It's about 3 feet long. It looks like my SeaRay repair just got a lot more complex.

My thoughts on repairing it.....taper grind along the inside. Epoxy resin with alternating layers of mat and roving....the damage is on the underside and won't be seen with the boat in the water. So, I'm thinking I'll fill the gelcoat with a putty.

I'd really appreciate some advice. I know I'm not the only idiot who's done this.

Thanks

Steve

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Frak.....cut through my hull with a reciprocating saw

BAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA

dont worry bud.......it happens to all of us. even pros go thru the hull some times.

unless you are using epoxy with the rest of the boat.....i wouldnt use it....you cant gellcoat over it.

use a structural peanut butter........mix your resin and mekp first......then milled fibers an 1/4 inch chopped strand till its thick.....(milled fibers at minimum 50 percent)
fill the gash and glass over it from the inside........then gell putty it from the out.

easy repair....dont sweat it

cheers
oops

Badweed

Seaman

Thanks oops....should I put a backing on the gelcoat as I repair it from the inside. What's the best way to mill the fibers?

The wife says she doesnt want to get into the boat now.....polyester is strong enough? I don't want to have the missus ad the kidos swimming to shore when the boat sinks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as a backing plate on the gellside....thats your call.....i would just let it drip out...(the stuff is super thick any how)..you are going to have to dremmel out the gouge any how......and the stuff i gave you the forumla for will stick to everything.... if the backing plate isnt firmly affixed to the hull it will give you a really messy out side hull

by the way.......make sure you have something down to protect your drive way or garage floor from the peanut butter recipe i gave you........that stuff is crazy strong and bonds better than concrete.

milled fibers can be bought at any glass shop for cheep......just make sure they are milled fibers not micro balloons.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup, so I did. It's about 3 feet long. It looks like my SeaRay repair just got a lot more complex.

My thoughts on repairing it.....taper grind along the inside. Epoxy resin with alternating layers of mat and roving....the damage is on the underside and won't be seen with the boat in the water. So, I'm thinking I'll fill the gelcoat with a putty.

I'd really appreciate some advice. I know I'm not the only idiot who's done this.

Thanks

Steve

Your going to have to Glass inside and out .. IMO..

3 feet is a bit long to PB one side.. ( It should be treated as a crack that went all the way through the hull ).

YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Yd I have done this not three feet mind you only about 8 inches. I just taped the outside after I ground the inside back 6 to 8 inches. White gell in the crack then csm followed by cloth. Is this repair doomed to fail? It has been on the boat for about 50 hours and you cant really tell it is there. Will a few more seasons split this? I understand you can not give a time and date, but do I need to do something different?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yd I have done this not three feet mind you only about 8 inches. I just taped the outside after I ground the inside back 6 to 8 inches. White gell in the crack then csm followed by cloth. Is this repair doomed to fail? It has been on the boat for about 50 hours and you cant really tell it is there. Will a few more seasons split this? I understand you can not give a time and date, but do I need to do something different?

I guess it depends on "where" it was.. high flex point..or solid.

It probably will not fail being 6-8" .. but 3' kinda bothers me doing it that way.

IMO if the cut is more then say a few inches it should be treated as a "crack" through the hull. Im not saying just inside glassing wont work..its just not the way I personally do things.

YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cool beans your reply scared the crap out of me.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks oops....should I put a backing on the gelcoat as I repair it from the inside. What's the best way to mill the fibers?

The wife says she doesnt want to get into the boat now.....polyester is strong enough? I don't want to have the missus ad the kidos swimming to shore when the boat sinks.

The boat will be good as new if you glass both sides m8..

Poly is fine .. along with 1.5 oz mat and some 1708.

I would never suggest a repair with even a Remote possibility of failing at ANY time. This is not only Your families boat..but could be a future families boat :) .

Let us know what you deside to do and we will give you step by step application meathods..

YD.

drewpster

Commander

TEE HEE HEE - I can make fun of bald/ fat people too, because I ARE one of them too. ;)

YD, Oops and badweed,

Tell me what you think of this idea.
What if he did an inside the hull repair by prepping the cut by grinding a taper (12/1) like normal. Then used a thin strip of mat with poly laminating resin just to cover the cut and let it cure. Then finish the repair with epoxy and cloth. Then he could do a small taper from the outside and fill it with color matched gel paste, compound and buff. Then there would not be a bonding issue with the poly paste on the outside because of the poly strip used on the inside. The epoxy would be stronger and less of an issue. What do you think?
You know me, I prefer poly any day, but in this case epoxy may be a good idea. thoughts?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Gel paste alone for any repair will eventually fail. You need to spray it ( to encapsulate from water intrution ).

Myself I would

1. prep the cut area about 6" around the cut. ( inside )
2. Die grind the cut inside to bevel the hard edge off.
3. fill the cut with "mohair" ( poly resin,cabosil and shaved up chopped mat ).
4. without delay lam with 1 layer of 1.5 oz mat and 2-3 layers of 1708.
5. after cured goto the outside and bevel-grind approx. 3-4 " around cut ( you should have a smoth surface now because the crack is allready filled with mohair from the inside ).
6. lam the outside with 3-4 layers of 1.5 oz mat.
7. sand/fair.
8. fill pinholes with poly glazing putty ( do not use the putty to fill lows ).
9. final sand/fair with 80 grit on repair.
10. prep area around repair with 180-220 grit.
11. spray gel-coat with preval sprayer.
12. wetsand and buff.

Good as new.

YD.

PS. Remember that my suggestions or opinions are how I do them. Its not my boat and have the peace of mind knowing when the job is done its done right for the life of the boat ( untill the guy hits the next channel marker ;) ).

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I've done this too! With a circular saw!

I agree with YD and the others that it' a inside and outside repair.

What I have done:
V out the cut with a grinder/disc, gradually make this groove wider
Made a 'peanut butter paste' like OOPS suggested, just cut up the strands with a scissors
Fill in the crack, and let it cure, re-sand the area and lay varying sized layers extending 4 or 6" or more either side and length of the cut.
When cured, go underneath and grind a 3" wide groove along the crack, go another inch or two past the length...go deep enough to get into some of the 'peanut paste' along the crack, just enough, you only want to leave enough of a groove to put one or two lay-ups of cloth.

To keep it from sagging, use a couple of prop sticks with a plastic shield to hold the lay-up in place. You can use a piece of Plexiglas, a piece cut from a plastic tote and a couple pieces of firing to keep it stiff.

When cured, come back, sand/fair it and prepare for the gel coat, just deep enough for one or two layers of gel coat. You can use epoxy primer to help fill it in the imperfections...DON'T USE any bondo or fillers.
They sell thickening agents to thicken up gel coat, and/or use the shield method using wax paper or something similar.

The hardest part is getting the right amount of fiberglass and gel coat on the outside hull to look like there was no repair.

The cut I did into my hull was only about 4", the repair lasted 3 years with NO issues, I then sold the boat.

Good luck and don't worry, done properly, these methods will work.

EDIT: I just realized YD posted the same thing!!

Badweed

Seaman

Thank you for all the replies....it is truly a bummer and it looks like I'm the only idiot who has cut such a large piece.

I too am worried (like the wife) about the soundness of the repair. That's why I'm thinking epoxy.

If I did go for epoxy....how would you do it?

Thanks again

Steve

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the lay up is the same....just dont use chopped strand matt....the epoxy wont break down the binders in the matt.

use a woven cloth product.

if you use the 6 oz you get at wallmart......this is a finishing veil......use multiple layers with the weave in different directions......that cloth has very little structural value

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.. it happens to all of us.

It happens, but not to all of us ... :facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

.. it happens to all of us.

It happens, but not to all of us ... :facepalm:

lol.....only cowards use a dremmel where a good sawz all will fit.....tee tee :D

Badweed

Seaman

Ya, funny thing is....i pondered going to hd to get the dremel that morning. Nah...the reiprocating saw has worked so far....

Dremel is looking cheaper.

I was on the West epoxy website and they had a video showing fiberglass hull repair from the ouside. In their lay up schedule they put the largest piece of mat down followed by consecutively smaller pieces....ie. the opposite of what you do with resin.

What's up with that?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Probably so each layer does not have to Lap over a hard glass edge causing possible air pockets ?

Basically ease of layups I can only assume.

YD.

Badweed

Seaman

If I ground down to gelcoat on the inside, would I have to also do a repair from the outside as well. I can't really visualize how I could do that...

Thanks again

Steve

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You really need to put up some pics m8..

You Must Grind off All the gel on the inside to lam the glass..

You should glass the outside..

YD.