1977 Cajun restore!!!

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I have been doing a lot of thinking. so here we go i picked up this boat 8 months ago. I cleaned it out . I will be replacing the deck first do you guys think i need to pull the cap? Transom is strong. I have been reading all of the post this will give me and my 15 yo son something to do thanks for the help!!!!!!!Probably be a cpl of weeks before I start putting the deck down due to the weather we are in for here in Texas!!!:D
View attachment 80032 View attachment 80033 View attachment 80034

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 Cajun restore!!!

Done a Cajun last winter, doesn't the top cap rest on the deck?? The one I done the top cap actually was screwed to the decking, so in answer to your question yes. Plus will be a lot easier to replace the stringers with the top out of the way.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes sir I just went and looked at it. is the cap screwed on or does it have rivets? and I guess we are going to get some cold weather down here in Texas this weekend. and the first part of the week thanks for the answers!!!!! :eek:

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Mine was screwed with 1" long wood screws, but I've seen rivets as well, you'll just have to look see; also it had silicone in the joints, so you may have to slide a putty knife of somthing similiar in between the joint to seperate it. Be sure to check storage compartments, under the console areas, etc for extra tabbing from the factory holding the cap to the deck. It will need to be cut loose as well.