65hp Chrysler Idle Problem

Daniel Smith

Recruit
Hi,
I have recently bought a 65hp Chrysler. It fires up no problems with a bit of throttle but as soon as i put it back to idle position it dies, even after it has warmed up. Any help would be great :)

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 65hp Chrysler Idle Problem

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum.

If the motor is new to you and you haven?t had it out on the water yet I?d be doing some diagnostics to see just what condition the motor is in. Compression test would be a good start. If that checks out I?d suggest giving the motor a service before you start using it. In the process you will need to tune the engine which will probably fix the idle problem. A workshop manual is a big help. If you can work on the motor yourself it will give you more confidence in the motor & make trouble shooting easier in the future.

There is a lot of information in the ?Engine Frequently Asked Questions? section of this site. The search function is also helpful.

The people in the Force & Chrysler section are fantastic.

Where in Australia are you? If you are in Adelaide I may be able to help.

Good Luck:)

Daniel Smith

Recruit

hi
have just done a compression test. 150 and 160 psi so not too bad.
have put the idle mixture screws to 1 and 1/4 turns out but no change.
I had a look at the reed valves but they look fine.

I'm not in Adelaide, im in Melbourne.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a tachometer hooked up? The rpms should be about 750-800 in gear, warmed up.
Get a manual and get familiar with the parts and terminology.The idle is adjusted by adjusting the towershaft.
Boats.net has parts diagrams go there and find your motor Chrysler Outboard Parts 65 (1978) 659B8B POWER HEAD Diagram.Look at the parts and find the towershaft.Magnify it and find the screw on the side that adjust the idle.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Before you start doing anything else, if you have not yet chenged the plugs, put in a new set. Poor idle or stalling at idle is OFTEN the first sign of fouled spark plugs.

Daniel Smith

Recruit

so theres no problem if i just adjust the idle stop screw to hold the throttle open abit?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is no harm in increasing the idle speed with the idle stop screw. Its purpose IS to adjust idle speed. However, If you are having a low idle due to fouled plugs or improperly synchronized ignition and carbs, you will be artificially treating the symptom without curing the problem. Be certain all systems are functioning correctly before you raise the idle RPM.

Correct RPM is 700-750 in FORWARD gear IN the water.

Daniel Smith

Recruit

thanks, i adjusted the idle stop and took it down to the lake. It went great!!
Thanks Again