Re-carpeting trailer bunks

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Re-carpeting trailer bunks

i would remove the old, just to see the shape the bunks are in. if your in it might as well do it right

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've always found that it's better to replace them completely, but that's my boat. By the time the carpet fails, the wooden bunks aren't much better. Have a good look at them. There's several references on how to do it in the search window of this thread. Good luck and welcome!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Do you guys remove the old or just place the new over the old fabric?

Thanks, Eric

I just did this on my trailer. I laid out the new carpet over the old and stapled it down (actually I stapled it underneath the board so the staples won't touch the boat). I figured a little extra padding would be a good thing. My wood was in fine shape from what I could tell.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just a quick note. I was in A&P yesterday and noticed that the 18x12x 3/8" poly cutting boards were $10 each (no holes, no groove, just a plain flat board). If cut into four 18" strips each, two boards would cover the last 6 feet of two bunks. ($20 plus some stainless screws) Three cutting boards would cover two 9 foot bunks. ($30 plus screws).

Point being that the poly cutting boards are the same slippery material as the slick boards that are sold for bunks, and at the price of the cutting boards, you can have slippery bunks for a very low price.

I may just buy the cutting boards now, and install them in the spring.

Just something to think about

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would remove the old carpet and repaint the wood before putting the new carpet on. Also, definitely use stainless steel staples.