alarm on 1996 mercury 115

matthewh

Recruit
the alarm on my 1996 mercury 115 is continuously sounding when i turn the key on does not matter if the motor is cold or warmed up does not even have to be cranked and it still sounds, would like to know what would cause this

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: alarm on 1996 mercury 115

Proper operation of the horn is for it to sound for a short time each time you turn the key on but it should quit in about 2-3 seconds. If that's the way it is working, that's normal and is telling you the system is functioning. If it stays on, then the temperature switch is stuck closed or the tan wire leading from is grounded, or the module is bad.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it a solid beep/tone or does it beep - beep- beep - beep? If the latter that is the low oil warning horn. My boat was doing this when I first bought it. I had to replace the oil tank because the magnet on the sensor in the tank had come loose and was keeping the sensor tripped. I read this is a rather common issue on these motors. You can disconnect the wires going to this sensor to test if this is the problem. Disconnect the wires and the horn should stop.

If it's a solid beep I have no suggestions above what silvertip said.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Oil tank or module as posted earlier, unplug the 2 blue wires from tank to module and if quits tank needs replaced, if not unplug tan wire ,if still have horn module bad...

matthewh

Recruit

Its a continuous beep, even when I plug my trolling motor in. Where is the temp module at