115hp or 90 hp

billygoat

Cadet
buying a used boat that is rated for a 90 hp outboard i have a 115 hp motor can i use this or not?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115hp or 90 hp

Youll be hard pressed to find someone tell you to do this. The boats are rated for a reason. Especially wouldnt want the insurance company to find out if there was an accident.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The Coast Guard doesn't care what size you put on it. But like HT said, the insurance company would ruin you for life if you were ever to be in an accident. Whether it was your fault or not.

Triton II

Commander

Really to answer this correctly you need to let us know which boat and what motor. However, here's a brief answer that may be of use.

You could use it, however it would not be legal. You will encounter a very forceful "NO" if you ever make an insurance claim, the motor may damage the boat, the weight difference may upset the boat's handling, the local water police will take an extremely dim view of overpowering the boat, etc, etc. For a plethora of reasons I would not do this, but that's my personal choice, you may decide it's OK for you. Some 90s were derated 115s, if this is the case, then maybe you could derate your motor to ensure you comply with the laws of your state.

TII

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hard to tell with no data on your motor. Nevertheless my first though would be to trade the 115 against a 90 hp hoping to end up owning a newer model 90 hp as a gain.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

working copy.jpgresized55.jpgThis question has come up more times than I have posts! Can you do it? Sure! Should you do it? There are literally thousands of answers both pro and con. Search the forum for similar posts. There's a full day's reading. Will you do it? That's strictly up to you.

However, there are those who think that boat rating is a conspiracy by the "man" and meant to keep us water lovers down. Then there are those who will do nothing unless it is strictly "by the book." Be aware that this type of engine swap is done ALL the time and either new decals are put on or a lower HP marked hood is substituted. It is not uncommon to find, for example, a 200 HP Evinrude with a 175 hood. Still not legal, mind you, but done. And the local boat police are not stupid guys either. Chances are, if you mind your own business and don't engage in horseplay with the boat, you will never be bothered.

You really need to evaluate all the answers and make your own decision.

Here are a couple of photos of a specially modified 14 foot hull originally rated for about 35-40 HP with a 90 on the back--since upgraded to a 125. So if you want to do the work to make it safe, you can do it. But again, the final decision is up to you.

billygoat

Cadet

thank you all who replied. I liked the idea of trading the 115 for a newer 90.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

There is the 'recommended hp' and 'max hp' rating.
Some boats have that on the tag.

My boat has the 'max' as 150hp, I have the 'reccomended' 115hp, the same boat a year newer has 200hp as max!
I can't imagine that/this boat with a 200hp!!

I wonder if there is any data/link on insurance companies not paying out for that reason...I guess I'll go look.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Hard to tell with no data on your motor. Nevertheless my first though would be to trade the 115 against a 90 hp hoping to end up owning a newer model 90 hp as a gain.

Yep, I like the sound of that.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The insurance company issue I brought up has nothing to do with damaging your boat or motor and looking for compensation, it has everything to do with accidentally hitting a little boy while he is swimming, getting sued for millions of dollars, and having your insurance company shut their doors to you. Terrible scenario I know, but it has happened, accidentally of course, but accidents happen on the water everyday.