Fishing books

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone know of a book that goes into depth on fishing? I'm looking for something that will show you how to rig lures for specific species, what type(s) of lures are best for what fish, trolling speeds, preferred baits, preferred temps, etc., etc., etc. Sort of like an Encyclopedia for Anglers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fishing books

There is no such thing as the "One Book" when it comes to fishing.

A single species of fish will behavior differently from one place to another, from one day to another. Methods vary from location to location. A book that tried to cover all the possibilities would fill the Library of Congress then some.

A book isn't going to give you the instinct it takes to put fish in the boat on a regular basis. That knowledge comes from being out on the water day in and day out. There is a reason why 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman and it isn?t because 10% of the fisherman are better readers.:D:D

Look for a book written by a local about your local species. That will give you the best information your location

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

My suggestion is to get together with someone who fishes the area you want to fish. Make friends, hire a guide, etc.... Local knowledge is the only way to learn anything.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Check these out.

Ken Schultz's Fishing Encyclopedia

McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia

Happy hooking, K.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I can't add any books to read, but have learned that fishing is VERY location specific. Meaning the fishing techniques are specific to YOUR area.

I found YouTube.com to help me for the new area I go fishing.
Checkout these guys and see what I mean...i.e. sheepshead in the north are almost un-edable, but southern sheeps head are REAL tasty. These guys break it down so easy 'a cave man could do it'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCC3QDPXLM8

Even the local bait/tackle shop can give some of the best leasons!
It will save you in the long run.

I bought at least 5 different color lures, then 'found out' from the 'local tackle shop the best color the locals use is 'chartuse'!!
Can't find that in a book unless it was written by a local!

Good Luck!

swl

Seaman

check out in-fisherman.com or fishingclub.com almost better than a book. but they have those too

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I picked up this Offshore fishing book when I went to Bass Pro Shops with my Father in law and brother in law just to have something to read, I found it to be a decent introduction, and it comes with a DVD:
http://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/products.php?product=Sportsman's-Best:-Offshore-Book-&-DVD-Combo

I liked it enough that I figured it couldn't hurt to get the Inshore fishing one too:
http://store.intermediaoutdoors.com...sman's-Best:-Inshore-Fishing-Book-&-DVD-Combo

They have others as well, but those two were the most appropriate for my needs. I was planning on using these like a primer, then going to the local bait/supply shop and seeing what works for the local area once I knew better what to ask...

nlain

Commander

Check the line manufacturer websites to find the different knots that are used with the different lines. The perfect knot for mono may just turn loose when tied in braid. They also give the types of knots for lures, line to line, leader to line. This site will show you how to tie many knots but may not have the latest for the newer lines. http://www.animatedknots.com/

eliaslyn

Recruit

Yes, obviously I have one suggestion for you. I have read one book named "The Great Fisher". I have refer this book completely. There is nice information about to fishing is given in this book. Even most of the topics you have asked in this post are also given in this book may be.