Bad/rotten transom? Possible fixes or solutions? Seacast, wood, aluminum?

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everybody! I'd rather be posting under better circumstances, but I think my transom may be toast... I have a 1992 sailfish 190 sport dual console. I first noticed this problem when I was putting on & taking off my transom saver. It seemed like the outer fiberglass skin was pulling out and moving back in with the tilt/trim bracket whenever I was putting stress on or taking stress off the transom. It looks exactly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0UZ3cd0xU

I also have noticed that my transom would making light popping noises while trimming the motor up and down, or if I planed out really fast. The motor also seems to wobble a little bit when I go over large waves or if I'm trailering it down the road & go over bumps. The transom seems to bend in maybe 1/4" where the motor bracket rests. Also, the aluminum transom cap seems to be pushing out away from the boat now which also worries me. I checked the transom from the bilge side & noticed that there is a gap between the interior wall of the transom and the beginning of the splashwell wall. I hope that makes sense. This gap is about an inch thick & filled with some green composite material that is hard as a rock. The stern of my boat has a baitwell on the right & another compartment on the left side that leads to the fuel bulb & other connections. The transom then goes down in height about a foot to where the engine is mounted. The splashwell I am speaking of is right in front of the engine. The transom cap that the motor bolts over seems to include the transom as well as this inch gap that is filled with a composite material. Meaning that when the engine was installed, they had to bolt through both the transom & this hard composite material. The boat only had 2 pre-drilled holes from the factory, so the dealership I bought the engine from had to drill two more holes. I think when they drilled these holes, they cracked the composite, filler material in half. I have seen a few crumbling bits of the composite in my bilge. I have also noticed that there are spider cracks forming where the splashwell meets the walls of the compartments on each side. They aren't extreme by any means.

Basically what I am wondering is: Do yall think my transom is bad, or is this inch of crumbling composite filler the cause of the popping & little bit of flex in my transom?

The sides of my transom that are behind the baitwell & the other compartment feel solid. Its just the center section that seems to be flexing alot. Could I replace the crumbling composite with seacast or wood and be good to go or do yall think I have bigger problems?

Other possibly useful info: The boat was ripped off the trailer onto the ground several years ago when some thieves decided they wanted my trailer. They attached a chain to the two stern eyes and wrapped the chain around a tree to keep the boat still while they stole the trailer. The two stern eyes have never been as tight as they once were after this. They have always been loose.

I also do not believe that the dealership sealed the holes very well after the motor install. I could see water dripping into the bilge around the bolt that goes through the transom & crumbling composite.

I think I'm looking at replacing a transom, but want to check & hear some other people's opinions first.

Some people have suggested an aluminum plate covering the center section of transom and wrapping over the transom cap into the splashwell. Would this work? I realize this is putting a bandaid on a bigger problem. I just don't want to put over $1,000 into this boat because its now 19 years old.

My engine is a 2001 150hp Yamaha HPDI with only 250 hours on it. Another thought is that I could buy a newer boat hull for around $7,000 to $8,000, rig it with my fairly new engine, and put that boat on my 5 year old aluminum trailer. I think this would be a wiser decision to invest my money in a newer boat hull.

If I can pop the boat's cap, go to town with a chainsaw on what's left of the transom, and seacast a new transom in for under $1,000...then I'll do it. I just don't want to get into it and realize that I have rotten stringers too and end up spending $10,000 restoring this boat from the inside out when I could have just bought a newer boat hull for $7,000.

The first attached photo shows the back of the boat and the 1/4" bend in the transom.
The second photo shows the transom cap separating
The third photo shows the cap separating and the spider cracks where the splashwell meets the wall
The forth photo shows the transom cap bending out away from the transom.

Thanks for reading this book I just wrote. hahaha.
Ben

Attachments

• boattransombending.jpg
    boattransombending.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • boatcapseparating.jpg
    boatcapseparating.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
  • boatspidercracks.jpg
    boatspidercracks.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
  • boatcapbending.jpg
    boatcapbending.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Bad/rotten transom? Possible fixes or solutions? Seacast, wood, aluminum?

I am not into outboards much, but I would say you have some rot. The transom should not do that. Being it is an outboard, I would look at seacast.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds exactly like what mine did before I took the motor off and checked the wood through the motor's bolt holes. I would recommend you do the same. Just get a engine picker/lift and a couple of rachet straps. Lift the motor until the weight if off the transom and take the bolts out one at a time. Do not need to disconnect anything else, you just want to be able to move the motor over an 1"-2". Probe the holes with a screw driver. You'll know for sure it the transom is rotten without ripping anything appart. Also you could take out you splash well drains and check the transome there as well.

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I'll probably check at the splashwell drains first. One of my splashwell drains was cracked, and I sealed it back up as soon as I noticed it. But, who knows how long it was cracked and how much water got in before I noticed it. Was your transom completely rotten & needing to be replaced?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Get it surveyed .. Its real hard to tell from the pics ( though the stress cracks on the inside pic 3 doesnt look that bad ).

Its just hard to tell ..

Good that you have options .. :) .

YD.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I'll probably check at the splashwell drains first. One of my splashwell drains was cracked, and I sealed it back up as soon as I noticed it. But, who knows how long it was cracked and how much water got in before I noticed it. Was your transom completely rotten & needing to be replaced?

Yes it was. If you want to check it out, click the link in my signature you will see the on going project with a ton of pics.

jonesg

Admiral

Your transom is shot, completely gone.
The video shows that ,clear as day.
I wouldn't even want to drive it on the trailer like that.

The previous owner of my boat paid a boatyard to install a stainless plate on the transom, bolted through to a main brace in the bilge, it was well done but there no way to stopgap these things.

Keep the boat, if you buy another the odds are it will have a wet transom anyway.

If you go with pourable composite theres no need to pop the fuse cap.
Pull the outboard and de-rig, remove all screws from transom.
Remove the alum guard, slit the top open and chainsaw after drilling 1 1/4" holes.
I used a $125 elec chainsaw from sears.

Watch the video.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5052133410006720508#

Then buy arjay, its a lot cheaper and works just as good,
racing guys use it so its good stuff.

http://www.captainlevis.com/vmchk/Composit-Coring-Materials/ARJAY-6011-POURABLE-CERAMIC-TRANSOM.html

Either rent a hoist or snag one off craigslist for $120.
Your cost should be around $600-700 tops.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

^^^What he said :D

Looks like an excellent composite transom candidate

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for everyone's input! jonesg, that video was very helpful! I actually feel confident that I can do this now. The only thing I'm wondering about now is how to deal with the crumbling composite material. I realize that I could just hollow out that gap where the composite is & fill it back up with seacast, but I'm not sure how to go about it. The composite filler is on the outside of the fiberglass layer that makes up the back wall of the boat's bilge. It is sandwiched in between the front side of the transom & the back wall of the splashwell. Any suggestions about how to pour this?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a pic of the composite material you were talking about. I would agree with everyone else, looks like its in pretty bad shape from your video. I used seacast on mine, its "hell for stout" as my Grandpa would have said! I don't know much about the other products out there, but I swear by it. They have some videos on their website that were pretty helpful also.

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys. After months of looking at it all & trying to decide what to do, I have decided to try the seacast. I was looking at the transom this past weekend & measuring. I pulling one of the stainless steel stern eyes to see how bad my wood was & I did a knock test. I could shove a screwdriver halfway into the rotted plywood near the stern eyes. However I'm confused about a few things. The transom on starboard side looks to be only about an inch thick. It looks like maybe two half inch pieces of plywood with a layer of fiberglass sandwiched between the two, then the inner skin. How am I going to be able to chainsaw/pour seacast through an inch wide space with a piece of fiberglass in the middle?

The other side is the exact same construction, but has an inch thick piece of fiberglass on the inside which makes up the wall of my rear port livewell.

The transom is about 1 7/8"-2" thick at the drainplug hole. It seems like the transom's center section is much thicker than the outer parts of the transom. Here is my problem: With the seacast, I have to remove the motor then drill into the top cap of my transom which is about 3" thick. The transom is 2" thick, but I have another inch of thickness on the top part of the transom/transom splashwell where the motor bolts through. That inch gap in the hull between the transom & the wall of the splashwell is made up of a sheet of that composite material(which is now crumbling). If I drill into the top cap, do I just avoid drilling into the section that is made up of the sheet of composite material & only pour the transom while still leaving the old composite stuff? Or do I take that composite material out & refill that area with seacast as well? I have attached some pictures to show yall the bottom part of the sheet of composite where the bottom motor bolts go through. The pictures show the inside transom skin. The green/brown looking sheet is the composite. The fiberglass above it is the underside of the transom splashwell.

What do yall think I should do with these two possible roadblocks.

Also, how do I store a 500-600 lb motor after using a comealong or engine hoist to lift it off of the transom? Do I just leave it hanging from the engine hoist?

Thanks!

Attachments

• transomcomposite.jpg
    transomcomposite.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 2
  • transomcomposite2.jpg
    transomcomposite2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bump. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266008

I would need pics of your stern looking from the Top Down, from under the splashwell, and from the back showing the full width of the stern, in order to give my opinion on using Seacast. My first impression is that it would be better to do it the Old Fashioned way and pop the cap and replace it with glass and wood.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

your tramsom is approx 2 inches thick.....all the way thru....

it is possibly laminated with two sheets of ply with glass between......but there aint nuthin special about it......take off the alum cap....and stick a chain saw in there......everything will come out......fill the rest with seacast.

i still like the old fashoned way of wood and glass.....no possible error there....

chriscraft254

Commander

When in doubt,rip it out!

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Woodonglass,
I have attached a picture of the same exact boat as mine(not my boat actual boat). This shows the width of the stern as you requested. The beam of the boat is 7' 6". The first post on this thread has pictures that show the thickness of the transom & part of the splashwell. My post from a few weeks ago shows the underside of the splashwell with the composite material sandwiched between the transom inner skin & the splashwell.

What do you think? Could I use seacast for a transom like this. Also how much do you think I would need?

How much would it cost all said & done to do this repair?

I have the opportunity to buy a freshly restored center console with no engine that recently had the transom, floor, and gas tank replaced along with a long list of other items.

I'm trying to decide whether is worth it to repair this hull or buy the other hull.

Attachments

• sailfishtransomoverall.JPG
    sailfishtransomoverall.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 2

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You could definitely do SeaCast on that boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that's an excellent candidate for Seacast. Chainsaw and $500 bucks and you'll soon be back on the water.

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, do I need to do it in two separate pours, since the transom has the cutout for the engine? Do the first pour up to where the engine mounts, let it cure, then do another pour to fill in the upper portion of the transom? How do I pour that upper part of the transom when I am going to have to pour it from the side?

How many gallons of seacast do you think that transom will require(don't want to order less than needed)?

Do I need a 25" chainsaw to get all the way down in there?