1994 Bayliner Capri 2050LS Advice

wildwayne

Cadet
Hey Guys I'm a newbie boat owner and I've been reading up on all the good information in this forum. I've attached some photos of the boat I'm looking into purchasing. As I'm still new to the boating world, I'd like to ask for your advice.

#1 What's the discoloration near the transom? Is this a sign of defect?
#2 The owner said he has some maintenance records but the boat needed little repair since he owned it. It's kept in storage or covered. He changes the oil and filter each winter. Anything I should pay particular attention to when I inspect?
#3 I like to do some fishing with this boat. Would I be able to? or is this a ski only boat?
#4 Depth finder is broken. Do I need it? How much would it be to replace it?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll be enjoying this sport soon!
IMG_0313.jpgIMG_0314.jpg

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1994 Bayliner Capri 2050LS Advice

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

1. If you are referring to the bluish-green near the bottom of the transom, that appears to be ablative bottom paint.

2. If where you live the temperature goes below freezing in winter, it is vital that the motor was properly winterized. It needs to be checked for cracks in the manifolds, engine block, etc. I think running the motor with the outdrive in water is the easiest way to check, but I'm not an expert on I/Os. Post a question over in the I/O section. You also need to check the boat for signs of rot in the sole (a.k.a. "deck"), transom, and stringers.

3.Sure you can fish from it! You may wish to remove the bimini top to keep it out of the way of rods and hooks.

4. You can get fish-finders for less than $100. Highly recommended for many types of fishing, one can also help prevent you from hitting bottom (but local knowledge and proper charts are even better).

wildwayne

Cadet
Re: 1994 Bayliner Capri 2050LS Advice

Thanks NYB

I'm going to check the boat out this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. I think it's a nice starter boat if it was taken care of by the previous owner. Not too expensive.
I can't wait to for Spring to come.