Canon dSLR lenses... opinions?

BF

Lieutenant
OK shutter bugs out there. Just before xmas I bought myself a new Canon EOS T1x dSLR. It came with the typical kit lens.. EF-S 18-55 IS. I want to get a longer lens that will probably be the one that I will end up using most of the time. I think (?) I've got it down one of the following 3:

1) EF-S 55-250 F 4/5.6 IS -is a fairly cheapo lens, often sold as a kit zoom lens... but from what I can tell works pretty well. I borrowed a friend's and liked the IS. The IS seems to be a particularly good thing when shooting high def video free hand. Cost is ~$200 online or ~$350 locally. Lens feels plasticy... but at $200 if I drop it, it wouldn't kill me. This is the cheap option.

2) EF 70-300 F 4/5.6 IS - seems to be a middle of the road quality wise. Probably better feeling than #1, but I've never actually used or held one... Local retail is ~$700... online / Ebay probably $350-400. IS has 2 modes and gets good reviews.

3) EF 70-200 L F4 USM - non-IS, but L quality glass... similar in price to #2. Probably better quality images compared to 1 or 2, and in a more weather sealed package... but I think (?) I might regret not having IS, especially for indoor shooting. Yes, they do make an IS version of this lens, but it's >$1000 and I'm not gonna spend that much.

Anybody have experience with these? Right now I'm leaning towards #2.

Thanks for your $.02

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Canon dSLR lenses... opinions?

I have the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS and it is a pretty good lens, I do a lot of wildlife shooting with it and it has produced quality shots that have been published in magazines and well as in the local galleries where I live, if your not willing to spend the money on the L IS glass, it would be your best value for the dollar..of course the L glass is always going to beat out the others, but you should be happy with it, I don't like the 50-250, it is to light and the camera does not balance out well with it, in addition to what you already noticed very plastic feeling, it is a simple consumer grade lens where as the 70-300 is a step up in build quality and glass quality.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a 100-300 and I wish it had a smaller starting size such as 55 or 70 mm. I think either starting size 55 or 70 would be ideal.

I really put mine on very rarely unless I am at an event or traveling. Around the home the standard 18-55 works great.

Congratulations on the new camera. You should have a tripod and a good high end flash to complete the package. Have either of you two checked out Photomatrix HDR? I have the software and it is good....... you can do basically the same effects in full photoshop but I find it easier then cranking up the PS software.

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We are Nikon fans but also own Canon... no war intended please. Both are great cameras...

I would look for another option for that kind of lens and look for a fast f stop. You will find F4/5.6 is not good for evening or after sunset.

My wife shoots concerts and you know they are dark. She never uses a flash and her 70-200 F2.8 and gets awesome photos.

If your intent is to shoot only in bright light, then go with F4 but if you think you can use a flash and use the 250 or 300 settings, you will be very disappointed.

Photos using her 70-200 f2.8 lens... no flash...
http://www.nostalgicmemoriesbylea.com/dannyvernonatadmiral.html

and yes, they are very expensive... from about $1600 and up... But you can find good used ones at local camera shops (not Best Buy)... and they will set you back less than $1000.

DSC_2203.JPG

RGrew176

Commander

I have a Canon Rebel XTi that I bought in 2007. I have the lens that came with the camera the 18 - 55 lens I believe. I am looking to upgrade to something more subsantial. I was at Best Buy prior to the holidays. The salesperson showed my a lens that he said is relatively new. I don't remember the specific model number but it is 18 - 250 and I don't remember the f number. It is priced at $699. When I get to a point I can buy I will take a serious look at this lens.

I hope this helps.

BF

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input so far. MTboatguy, the first hand impressions of the 70-300 are helpful and confirm reviews I've read... Go Aweigh, yes, I hear you about the F 2.8 and L glass capabilities... I just don't think I can justify spending that kind of cash right now... FWIW, I was very surprised at how well the cheap 55-250 that I borrowed did in dark concert settings with no flash. It wouldn't have done the shot like you posted with the majority of the frame being dark, but I was able to zoom in for head and shoulder portraits in low light that turned out amazing. I'm sure I couldn't have got those hand held shots without the IS. I was able to dazzle my friends with quality shots of their kids from the school concert. I'd expect the 70-300 to do at least as well, but not out to a full 300. I expect the majority of my shooting to be outdoors daylight around the lake etc... also some photo's and video of indoor sporting events (hockey). Not the best light, but usually not awful. So, yes, F2.8 would be better... but I think I need to compromise b/c of the price.

Bob_Vt... a proper flash is probably next on the list... I'll wait until I see how well the IS works. I like avoiding flash if possible. I've got the tripod from old SLR days, but in reality I rarely used it back then, and may not now... Thinking about maybe trying a monopod, which might be handy since I'm playing with shooting video with it too. I've just started playing with the Canon software that came with the camera. Looks very powerful and I like that it can do batch processing and save all changes to be applied to other frames. The trick will be to not use up all the Gigabytes in the world. But, most shots look so good that it's hard to be ruthless and down size them.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back with the SLR... the quality of the "snappy" pict's that have been taken in the last couple years around our place is just sad. I regret not upgrading sooner. My kids will probably call those "the missing years". Of course, wifey can barely tell a good quality photo from one taken in the 70's on 110 format. But most other humans can. Having a camera bag again feels so "old school".

Thx for the comments, keep 'em coming!

Bob_VT

Staff member

BF I use the flash mostly as bounce and I have a canon flash. The aftermarket really did not interface properly.

MT great pictures!

BF

Lieutenant

BF I use the flash mostly as bounce and I have a canon flash. The aftermarket really did not interface properly.

MT great pictures!

Thanks for the heads up about compatibility... I had read something along those lines, and for lenses too. The Canon Speedlite flashes seem to be well liked, but I'd have to figure out the differences in models.

Ditto... great picts Mtboatguy.... but the bears you have there are too scary. I prefer Yogi.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have the mid level 430 which works great.

BF

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input Rick... I don't think I'd want to go as wide angle as 18 in the longer lens... From my past experience, I've found the "do it all" range to have a bit too much compromise with image quality... I'll keep the kit lens around as a wide angle. Having an 18-80 or something like that with a bit more image quality than the kit lens might be something I could see happening someday... or maybe just a fixed 50.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've got the EF-S 55-250 f4.5 and it does a good job. I'm not quite as enamored with the IS at wide open apetures, it's fair in my opinion. But overall it's been smooth and easy to pack around with little worry. Not a bad lens for 90% of what I do.

waterinthefuel

Commander

While being careful not to derail this thread, I do want to say that while Canon glass is great, Tameron makes some great stuff too. Here are some pics I took with my Rebel XTi at airshows:

This lens cost about 50 bucks I think.

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have a 420 EX flash that works great for most of the stuff I do, which every once in a while includes portraits and weddings.

I have a Canon, 20D, 30D and am thinking about picking up a 50D

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got a couple Tamron lenses for my Rebel XS for Christmas.
75-300mm, and a 28-80mm.
Almost every review I've read, the Tamron beats the Canon lenses, and are a fraction of the price.

BF

Lieutenant

I just got a couple Tamron lenses for my Rebel XS for Christmas.
75-300mm, and a 28-80mm.
Almost every review I've read, the Tamron beats the Canon lenses, and are a fraction of the price.

Maybe I'll need to do more research... I've read/heard that there can be compatibity issues with aftermarket, but that maybe less likely to be an issue with Tamron than others (?)... Does your tamron 75-300 have IS?

BF

Lieutenant

While being careful not to derail this thread, I do want to say that while Canon glass is great, Tameron makes some great stuff too. Here are some pics I took with my Rebel XTi at airshows:

This lens cost about 50 bucks I think.

No worries... I'm looking for input, that's why I started the thread! I'll do a bit more research...

Oh, & nice pict's by the way...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

One of my best friends is the Tamron national sales manager. He's lent me several of their lenses over the years and I have to agree they're right there with the Canon stuff. I've been a Canon fan for 40 years now, so I'm a hard sell, but the Tamron stuff works!

BF

Lieutenant

OK, I've added another one to my "consider" list...

4) Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD -looks to be a head to head competitor with the canon 70-300 IS... Tamron has a non-rotating front element which would make a polarizing filter bearable to use, and has a full time manual focus which I think (?) might be useful, particularly if I try using AF for video... Cost wise they're pretty close, but the tamron is a bit cheaper... still >$400 though. I've seen a couple head to head reviews where it appears image quality is a wash between the 2... gotta do a bit more reading before I'd pull the trigger... but it's definitely in the running

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 70-300 is pretty good in my opinion. I love it. (I believe the call this one a beer can) Huh, go figure!!!
I use mine most of the time but there are situations where you will need a different lens.
I have Minolta 5d. A lens is a lens though.
I take most of my picture outside so it works for me.
theres the little lady's horse, a friends kids and my dog wander around in Pymatuning lake in the fall.

Attachments

• PICT6956.jpg
    PICT6956.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT7056.jpg
    PICT7056.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
  • JJ's Camp Oct. 09 071 Reduced.jpg
    JJ's Camp Oct. 09 071 Reduced.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0