Sealing a 1955 Evinrude 15 hp lower unit

zino

Seaman
Can anyone direct me to a step by step procedure for sealing the lower unit on a 1955 Evinrude 15 hp. It would be much appreciated.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Sealing a 1955 Evinrude 15 hp lower unit

I'd first do a pressure test to see which seals are leaking. I don't believe there is a seal kit available for that motor, so you have to buy the individual seals. Pressurize the lower unit to about 10psi and either submerge the lower unit or spray each seal with soap solution to see where it is leaking. Most common points are the drain and vent bolt seals/washers. Next most common is the propshaft seal which tends to get fish line wrapped around which compromises the seal. Also check the driveshaft seal, and the shift rod seal. The shift rod seal is actually an o-ring which sits under a brass bushing, and that bushing is tricky to get out without the proper tool. The driveshaft and propshaft seals can be removed with a standard seal puller available at any auto parts store.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You might try an OEM shop manual, clearly the best info source.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's been discussed a lot on the forum. Just search and you'll find lotsa info. And most all of the 50's and most of the 60's LU's are all the same to do. Also, if you're going to all the trouble to reseal it, I'd not bother to pressure check it, I'd do em all.