stuck neutral pre alpha

otts

Cadet
I am trying to remove outdrive for bellows and the drive is stuck in neutral. It ran fine last time in water. The controll arm will go into the forward position but not reverse. I can see the cable moving the pivot arm by the transom. It moves about 1 inch. How do I manually move it into drive? I have searched but have not found an answer. Thanks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: stuck neutral pre alpha

If the cable is being replaced, you can simply cut the cable and raise the outdrive and manually turn the shift shaft till it faces forward - in line fore and aft. It is pictured here without the drive attached:

DSCF8622.jpg

Ziggy has a picture he posts from time to time showing the shaft from underneath to give you a better idea.

Otherwise, as an alternative, you can remove the lower unit first, then the intermediate shift shaft will fall down out of the "shoe" and you can then remove the upper without worrying about it being in forward. Then you can replace the shift cable if it is stuck, (and it sounds like it is).

ziggy

Admiral

Ziggy has a picture he posts from time to time
once in a while i do... ;)

IMG_1516.jpg

as an alternative, you can remove the lower unit first, then the intermediate shift shaft will fall down out of the "shoe" and you can then remove the upper without worrying about it being in forward.
yep, i was gonna say that. but ya beat me to it... ;)

best i can do is supply the pic i guess...
ya can see the coupler if ya lay on your back and look up at the ft. of the drive (this drive is in neu.). as stated, if ya remove the lower first. the shift shafts will separate allowing removal of the upper in any gear, fwd, neu, rev......

otts

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response, I have seen the photo of the shaft in my searches. I will give it a try.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

yep, i was gonna say that. but ya beat me to it... ;)

Not very often that happens! :D

To the original poster - as Ziggy notes - his picture shows the drive in neutral. It cannot come off that way just to be clear. It has to be turned into the forward position. You probably know that already.... just making it clear. ;)

otts

Cadet

I got her in drive. Its cold here in Chicago so I decided to try and warm it up before cutting cable, put buddy heater in engine area, warmed it up and she shifted into reverse and nuetral. Thanks for the help, picture worth thousand words