7.5 HP Ted Williams starts and idles but dies giving throttle

Raffe

Recruit
Hi all,

I just bought a 7.5 HP Ted Williams outboard from a pawn shop. I got it real cheap cause the owner did not want to play with it due to a small problem. The motor starts fine and idles on or off gear but after giving throttle on gear it just stalls. I'm fairly experienced on 2 stroke engines after playing years with mopeds but I'm not that familiar with outboards. I figure the problem may be just as easy as cleaning the carb but I would appreciate other ideas what could cause this or info if someone has had the same type problem and solved it.

M

mrcrabs

Re: 7.5 HP Ted Williams starts and idles but dies giving throttle

I figure the problem may be just as easy as cleaning the carb
I would say your on the right track and generally these engines need a rebuild of the carb replacing all the rubber stuff and a new flapper valve and the float set, also check for rust in the tank if it has on board fuel tank. theres a link to the carb manual around here some where if you search.

you can lookup your model no. at searsparts.com and find diagrams but I recommend www.certifiedpartscorp.com for best deal on the parts.

Raffe

Recruit

Thanks mrcrabs! I found the diagram and realized its a fairly familiar carb type from lawn movers. I hope that its just a clogged main jet since it seems that the previous owner was using the integrated fuel tank and he did not have a fuel filter on it. I will see what it looks like from the inside when I take it apart this weekend. I might just take up your advice and order the carb rebuild kit. Any other ideas what I should check for possible causes on this problem? I want to order some other maintenance parts like a new impeller but I dont want to buy anything extra before this problem is solved.

M

mrcrabs

Well it usally is just sticking rubber carb parts (viton seat and needle) or clogged up at the flapper valve, if its flooding the fuel pump bladder is shot, on the impeller I use the sierra part no. 18-3054 merc .438 ID and get them from my local outboard shop 12$, Iboats shows it out of stock but I'm sure certified will have it, do a one stop shop and save your coin, there very reasonable on shipping, you need to have part numbers ready and call certified, you will pay a premium if you buy ebay, guess where the ebayers get there parts to sell???

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might just take up your advice and order the carb rebuild kit.
Note: the flapper valve isn't part of the carb kit. It's behind the little rectangular plate that has the fuel inlet fitting on the side of the carb.

The site Mrcrabbs suggested---Certified Parts Corp.---bought out the remains of both Eska AND Tecumseh so they are the primary parts source for both.
That said any GOOD lawnmower shop should have the carb parts you'll need tho maybe not the flapper valve.