depthfinder transducer question

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Helo everyone.... My transducer became dislodged in my bildge area. It seems to be enclosed in what looks like the bottom of a two liter bottle, and was glued down. I believe it was filled with water, but not sure. Any ideas how to re-attached... The encasement is still glued down, just the transducer is loose

Thanks..Rick

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: depthfinder transducer question

The bottle was glued to the hull and filled with water so the transducer could shoot through the hull. This is a rather ingenius way of doing this whereas the transducer is typically glued to the hull buy pushing it into a puddle of silicone. There must be no air bubbles between the transducer and hull (hence the water) and the point where the transducer is mounted must also be in full contact with the water on the outside of the hull. In short -- no air between the transducer and water.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip thanks for the response.... I have seen some post that people will use mineral oil instead of water...any thoughts on that ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I suspect any liquid would work. The thicker the better as it would not develop air bubbles from sloshing around underway.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a bunch!

We are so fortunate to have such a forum with the wealth of knoweldege that you people are willing to share with us....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Flattery will get you everywhere Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!