2005 Yamaha 90 Fuel Problem

Dchap96418

Recruit
:(

I have a problem getting my 2005 90TXRD to start after I replaced water separator\fuel filter and drained\checked engine mounted fuel filter.
I've been told that I have to "reset the fuel rail presure" but don't have the procedure to do that. Owners manual is on order!

:confused: Any suggestion?

throrope

Cadet
Re: 2005 Yamaha 90 Fuel Problem

"reset the fuel rail pressure"

We have the same outboard. No such thing as a fuel rail on these tried and true two strokes. That's fer them dang new fangled FI four bangers. Unlike them, TLR's can be maintained under a shade tree with a cold six and hand tools. Great way to keep the wife away for the afternoon.

I hope you have the factory manual on the way. If you read closely, all linkage adjustments can be made from markings on the block. Only one I didn't find is for the air screw on the carbs. The carbs come apart easily and most gaskets can be reused. That said, I need two more bowl gaskets after pulling mine apart and I'm getting them here. I suggest also paying attention to all hoses and link clips. The orangutan at the past and last marina made a mess of ours.

I suspect that you stirred up crap when you replaced the filter. If the fuel lines are original, I expect the ethanol fuel may have done them in and now crap may be in the bowls, main jets and pilot (idle) jets (one of each per cylinder). Here's what I used: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/MPI-350-0380/Fuel+Hose+3-8 Don't forget the primer bulb.

Another place to consider: We have a moeller plastic tank and the plastic pick-up tube got brittle and broke at the fitting in the middle of the sound. After about an hour at the wrong end of the boat, we stuck the fuel line in the fill and continued with our day. One guy had enough and rigged a copper pick-up. I figure $15 bucks and 15 minutes every couple years leaves more time on the water and is cheaper than a failed trip.

As I'm thinking, you may not have everything snugged up or lost an O-ring and now have a little air leak INTO the fuel feed upstream on the suction side of the fuel pump. At idle revs the leak may be enough to starve the engine, but at WOT the pump could run fast enough to keep up in spite of the leak. That's another reason to keep the oil injection as Yamaha gave it.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Dchap96418

Recruit
Re: 2005 Yamaha 90 4-stroke "purge the fuel rail" guidance

:(

I have a problem getting my 2005 90TXRD to start after I replaced water separator\fuel filter and drained\checked engine mounted fuel filter.
I've been told that I have to "reset the fuel rail presure" but don't have the procedure to do that. Owners manual is on order!

Sorry - I should have stated it is a four stroke. I agree the 2-strokes are easier to maintain.
I found that there was no fuel in the line from the fuel separator and was able to get fuel up to the bulb. But I changed to a clean portable tank to remove any fuel line/tank issues, linking the portable tank in on the engine side of the primer bulb.
I got good pressure on the portable tank primer bulb and have a full fuel bowl on the engine but she still doesn't fire up.
I'll continue to look to advice on getting air out of the injector side of the fuel system.

Thanks for the response.

jakelogsdon

Banned

Is there a place on the rail to test your fuel pressure?