Transom

Capt.K-Hell

Recruit
Hi,new to iboats so please if in wrong place be kind...
Brought my boat home at end of last season..lowered my 70 hp motor down on 20" pontoon and my transom amd motor was hanging on 1 side..the 3 bolts fell out..should i just weld it to beams???Any other ideas would be welcome..Thank you happy new year..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Transom

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Why not just put the bolts back in,..??

Capt.K-Hell

Recruit

Yeah i am almost sure i would do that..but thanks..just thinking if anyone else had this happen did something better?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Makes me wonder if the transom is rotting. What were the bolts bolted into, or were they through-bolted? If they were carriage type bolts that were screwed into your transom and they came out, I'd be checking that transom for rot with a fine-toothed comb, and repair as necessary. Good luck!

Oh, forgot my manners... Welcome to iboats! It's a great place, learn lots, teach others, and be safe! :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yup, it is probably a good idea to just redo the transom then you know you won't have any trouble with it in the future, it is cheap and super easy to do and could save you form trying to fish your engine out of the lake.

Capt.K-Hell

Recruit

Thank you all...It was bolted to the beams 3 botls each side an pop rivits.I guess since motor is the boat the manufacture doesnt care if it is at the bottom of lake or someones windshield..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pictures?? and.... I will move this to Pontoons ;)

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

i know i just got intimately familiar with mine in this area, they used bolts and pop rivets, I was worrried went to a marina that a friend owns and he assured me they were all that way for the most part and as long as the bolt and rivets were in good shape and what they were bolted or riveted to was in good shape then i shouldnt worry at all.