2001 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke multiple winter use with 2 questions

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice
I use my boat in the winter to access different islands that have ice connected to it so i can ice fish, so :

1st question: When i launched it for the 1st expedition, the water exhaust didnt come out for over 4 minutes at idle. I shut it down and let it cool off for 10 minutes and then started it up again and it started to "pee" after another 3 minutes. Is this normal that the water exhaust didnt start right away , or should i look into replacing the impeller? No problem "peeing" in the spring/ warmer weather at start up

2nd question: When i'm done using it and i leave it a non freezing canal for the winter, do i leave the water pick ups in the water so it doesnt freeze or leave it out? What if i decide to trailer this right after use, do i leave it down and just let it drain or should i run antifreeze thru it?

Thank you in advance, Mike

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 2001 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke multiple winter use with 2 questions

Mike, you must be a Detroit river rat.
1. If you haven,t changed you impellar in the last few years I would do so.
That being said, your tale tell (pisser) was froze up. when you started it and shut it down, you defrosted that hose from the heat under cowling.
2. if it is moored in the water that does freeze over, I would leave the lower end in the water. leave the motor in down postion when towing. it will self drain.
Keep a piece of wire leader in the boat, and shove it up the pisser before starting and after you start in to move any ice build up, that will surley happen every time.
CROSS DYKE?

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke multiple winter use with 2 questions

I do keep a coat hanger in the boat just for that reason. I took the cover off and "massaged" the hose from the engine all the way to the outlet and then reamed the hole gently ...nothing happened. That is when i shut it off, let it cool down and then tried again with the same methods till it "pee' d" . I just dont like running it that long w/o water running thru it.

I'm wondering if it has a themostat that controls this water exhaust and when it gets hot enough , it will let it out or if the engine heat finally melted what was in the tube....any thoughts??

Getting a impellor today and gonna get r ready

Crossdyke, whats that?:rolleyes: