NEWBIE with some questions about a Hurricane Fundeck - Livewell, sink, bilge pump,etc

ARACHNIDS

Recruit
I'm so glad there is a Hurricane Boat forum. Anyways, my MIL (mother-in-law) gave us her 2005 Hurricane Fundeck 226 CC with only 70 hrs. She recently purchased it a few months ago from another owner, but doesn't know much about it...long story. Godfrey sent me the manual but it was pretty useless. So, I've got lots of questions.

Livewell - When I turn the switch on, nothing happens. Does the livewell have it's own pump? If so, where is it located?

Bilge - When I turn the switch on, I can hear it humming, but nothing comes out. There have been a few times where there was a bunch of (rain) water spilling out, not pumping out, when I removed the plug before heading out. Should I just replace it?

Sink (Aft/Portside) - When I try to run the sink nothing happens. Does it have it's own pump? If so, where is it? I understand that some boats have freshwater tanks. If this one has a tank, where is it and how do you fill it up.

Potty (Aft/Portside) - How do you evacuate the potty? Do you have to pump it out?

The plot thickens...I found a Jabsco PAR-Max 1.1 gpm pump underneath a seat cushion unhooked...no pipe connections or power connections. Was this for the sink or livewell or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEWBIE with some questions about a Hurricane Fundeck - Livewell, sink, bilge pump

I don't have your model boat, but since there have been no other responses I'll give it a try. On my boat the pump for the livewell is just behind the transom near the center of the boat close to the bilge pump. When you look in there you should see one line going to the livewell from the pump which will be close to the transom, and another line coming back through the transom as the drain for the livewell. Both lines will have valves on them, so be sure the valves are open or you may not be getting water to the livewell pump. You should hear the pump run when you hit the switch. One thing that I learned when shopping for Hurricane boats, is that the livewell, and freshwater pumps will freeze and break easily if not drained and winterized properly. When looking at a used boat, one guy said that he had to frequently replace the fresh water pump.

You can look in to see if water is over the bilge pump. It is pretty obvious just behind the transom at the lowest point in the hull. If it is humming and nothing is coming out with water over it you probably need a new one.

On my boat the freshwater pump is on the starboard side of the boat near the rear sink area down inside the hull. Since yours in on the other side the pump may also be. You can access the freshwater pump through a hinged door that has a pull out storage tray inside. The fill cap is also at the starboard rear of the boat behind the sink, near the rear boarding ladder on my boat. There is a switch for the freshwater pump that has to be on for it to work. I have heard that this pump is sometimes hard to prime, so fill the freshwater tank completely and you may need to run the pump for a while if it hasn't been used in a while.

I'm pretty sure that boat would just have a standard porta-potty. You just remove the tank to empy it.

Jabsco sounds like the same name on my freshwater pump. If you pull up the access hatch you should see loose hoses if this pump has been disconnected. I guess that it would be possible that the pump is under one of the seats on your boat.

You may also want to post this over on the Hurricane Owner's Club forum. I know there is at least 1 guy over there with the same model boat: http://www.hurricaneownersclub.com/

ARACHNIDS

Recruit
Re: NEWBIE with some questions about a Hurricane Fundeck - Livewell, sink, bilge pump

Great thanks! I figured out the bilge and livewell locations. I currently have Mayfair/Johnson cartridge pumps for both. I just bought the replacement cartridges and they seem pretty easy to twist out and replace. I got the Ancor heat shrink butt connectors too.

I'll think I'll wait on the water pump. I'm not sure how much I'll end up using it.

Thanks again!