Key on Control Box Not Engaging Starter

rockstarbob

Cadet
Good Day Everyone - I got an interesting issue I am trying to figure out. I have a 2000/2001 johnson 50 horse outboard bombardier (mod # J50ELSIG) that I just got but can not get to start from the control box. When ever I turn the key on the control box I get a beep, I can see the choke operate and can see with a continuity tester power is available at the motor. For some reason though when i turn the key the starter will not engage to start to motor. I can go directly to the starter and give it power which works so I know its not the starter. Has anyone ever had a problem with there control box on this type of outboard? Or does anyone have the schematic guide for this or a similar outboard I could reference just to make sure everything is in the right place?

Thanks!

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Key on Control Box Not Engaging Starter

Check for loose cable connections. Check the selinoid for proper operation.

rockstarbob

Cadet

Ok, maybe I should start very simply by finding out where the lanyard is suppose to connect. I didnt get one from the guy I got the motor from and dont see where it connects. I have a picture of the remote control and there is even a very simple image that says "on off" indicating I need the lanyard. Can I make a makeshift lanyard and if I can does anyone know where it should connect?

Attachments

• controlbox.jpg
    controlbox.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds to me like you have a neutral safety switch prob which is in the control box. On this mtr it will still start without the lanyard. Get a test lite or volt meter and have someone turn the key to start position. At that time go back to the starter solenoid and check for voltage on the yellow/red wire. No voltage, follow the wiring back to the control box.

Ok, maybe I should start very simply by finding out where the lanyard is suppose to connect.

The safety kill switch will not keep the starter from engaging.

Check for voltage at the solenoid (should be the yellow/red wire) when the key is turned. If not then the problem is likely the keyswitch or neutral safety switch. If you get voltage there then check to see if voltage is going to the starter. If not then you likely have a bad solenoid.

(If you plan on doing your own work a factory service manual is a must.)

rockstarbob

Cadet

Thank you guys for your help. I followed the above instructions and I dont get any power at the solenoid when the key is in the start position. I used a paper clip on the remote control connection plug and shorted the power to the yellow wire and the starter engaged. As indicated above it must be my keyswitch or more likely neutral safety switch. I havent opened up the control box yet but is there a way to replace this piece or do I need to get a whole new remote control? The rest of the controls work like they should but I still need to replace the lanyard as well.

Quick side question. Once the engine is started with out the lanyard/kill switch will it keep running or do I have to have that component to keep the engine going after its on? Probably a dumb question but thought I would ask.

Thanks!

I havent opened up the control box yet but is there a way to replace this piece or do I need to get a whole new remote control? The rest of the controls work like they should but I still need to replace the lanyard as well.

Those parts should still be available. Go to shop2.evinrude.com and from there go to your year and model of engine. You'll find all the subassembly diagrams with part numbers and list prices. Any OMC dealer should be able to get them for you, and most are available online also (iboats.com for instance).

Quick side question. Once the engine is started with out the lanyard/kill switch will it keep running or do I have to have that component to keep the engine going after its on? Probably a dumb question but thought I would ask.

The starter will turn over without the safety kill switch engaged, but the engine will never start. The safety kill switch keeps the ignition from firing the spark plugs, thus it can't start.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If this control is a 1996 control box and up the lanyard attaches to the key switch. You have to push the key in to attach the lanyard. These mtrs will start without the lanyard attached. It was a safety feature OMC built into it.

laguna80

Cadet

Those parts should still be available. Go to shop2.evinrude.com and from there go to your year and model of engine. You'll find all the subassembly diagrams with part numbers and list prices. Any OMC dealer should be able to get them for you, and most are available online also (iboats.com for instance).

Hi, it appears that I have the same problem as well. Do you or anyone else know the specific name for that switch? The pictures are too small for me to read and I can't find anything specific on that site.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the picture of the control box shown above. Now look at the illustration in the lower right corner of that control box. That diagram illustrate how the safety lanyard works. You either have a bad solenoid or the neutral start switch in the control box is bad or misadjusted. It is also interesting that you can see the choke operating since the engine doesn't have one. It has a primer system and as such, there are no external moving parts.

i kinda have the same problem heres what it is... i have an omc control box hooked up to a 50 hp force... i can crank the engine but it wont start.. no spark considering the engine is 2 seperate coils instead of one pack i dont think both of them would go out yet testing them they are both getting a constant 12v + on the + side and the - side i get a very light pulse, tested with a test light not multimeter so im not sure of voltage yet i have no spark after the coil is it supposed to be grounded somehow because its not.. i checked and i have basicly power to both the + and the - the - being a weak pulse while cranking and wiring diagram says nothing about it being grounded i checked plugs, wires, and points, points were dirty i cleaned them up but still no go.. im missing the lanyard on the controller even though im getting power to the coils would the lanyard somehow weaken the power so the coils wont spark? or did i have a one in a million thing happen and both coils are out? if thats the case im going to buy a lottery ticket any help would be great i want to go fishing and this is holding me up.. is there a way to bypass the lanyard? my control box has the lanyard connection on the key post but from what i can tell its not the type that turns off the key when pulled, from the diagram on the controller it shows it as a devil horn type clip.. i do not understand how this would make my engine run but im also a car guy more than a boat guy so as far as i know there is a magic juju inside the controller that needs the lanyard somehow.. please help :/