115 Lower Unit Leak after passing the pressure test

G-Money

Cadet
My '98 Evinrude Ocean Pro 115 has developed a leak in the lower unit. I bought the motor in Sept. and replaced the gear lube then. What came out looked clean and I even checked it several times since I changed it and no problems until two weeks ago.

I took it to a local shop and they pressure tested the l/u, re-filled with fresh Sierra gear lube, said they could not find a leak and charged me ~$120. I asked why I was getting water in the l/u and they said it was most likely a loose vent or drain plug because they said it held pressure for 20 min. They then told me to take it out and run it and let them know if I found water in there again.

Well, yesterday I ran it for about 2 hours and sure enough, I found milky gear oil when I got back home.

The shop did not remove the l/u, they just pressure tested it. What are they missing and why did the pressure test not detect the obvious leak that I have? I see no leaks around the l/u even after it sat for 4 weeks.

BTW, I'm running out of patience with this shop and am considering going elsewhere, but having spent $$ only to find nothing wrong, when I know there is something wrong, really ticks me off.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Lower Unit Leak after passing the pressure test

I wish we had customers who are willing to pay 120 for a 15 min job. Anyway, if it passed the pressure check what was the result of the vacuume test?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I wish we had customers who are willing to pay 120 for a 15 min job.

Aint that the truth!!! As Dhadley posted did they do a vacuum test? If a customer brings me a unit in for water intrusion, I test it with pressure & vacuum for 30 minutes if it leaks ANY it gets a complete seal kit not just whats leaking.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That's usually due to a leaking driveshaft seal under the water pump assembly. Even with 7 to 12 psi of air applied, that won't show up unless one removes the water pump assembly and applies some side pressure to the driveshaft.

If the shop simply applied 7 to 12 psi of air without removing the lower unit from the engine, this leakage wouldn't surface.

$120.00 to pressure check a lower unit??...... I sure picked a hellava time to retire :).

G-Money

Cadet

Yep, welcome to Charleston, SC! $80 for diagnostic/labor, $17 for lube, $13 for shop supplies plus tax. That's why I'm done with that Bozo after this ordeal! I can do that job myself, I just needed it tested and fixed!

G-Money

Cadet

I've ordered a factory service manual and am pretty good with tools. Is a seal job something a DIY'er can tackle or are special tools required?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The factory service manual will tell you that you need special tools for removing and installing the seals but if your half way innovative you can get around it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

$13.00 for shop supplies is just pure greed, and all of the mechanic shops have jumped on that scam wagon. I once asked "Just exactly what shop supplies have you used on my vehicle?"

Double talk, studdering, and a general line of BS followed. Next time, I take a box with me when picking up the vehicle..... and I want those paid for shop supplies in the box before I pay the bill. Being a mechanic myself for many years, I wouldn't attempt to insult customers intelligence with the BS they pull now!