fuel pump lobe on camshaft spinns freely...Help!

atcra

Seaman
I have a 95 Wellcraft 210SC that stalled on me. Pouring fuel in top of carb (5.0 FL Volvo Penta with duoprops) will start it with no problems but no fuel while cranking. Bought new volvo penta fuel pump and noticed that the lobe inside the engine on the camshaft was spinning freely. How bad is it and do i have any options???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel pump lobe on camshaft spinns freely...Help!

(5.0 FL Volvo Penta

Ayuh,... Ford Bolts the fuelpump eccentric to the cam,...
You'll need to tear down the front of the motor to replace those broken bolts...

atcra

Seaman

are the bolts somewhere in the engine if they broke off? do i have any options of using an electric fuel pump?

Bifflefan

Commander

Like Bondo says, the cam bolt has come loose, or the pin has sheared off.
You will need a timing cover gasket kit, and you may as well do the timing chain and gears also.
Plus if its been ran loose, the eccentric is probably shot also.
A little red or blue lock-tite goes a long way on that bolt when you reassemble it. Make sure you clean the bolt and bolt hole with carb spray or brake clean to get all the oil off it so the lock-tite can do its job.
Dont just add an electric fuel pump and not fix it. That will catch up to you sooner or later.

Bifflefan

Commander

are the bolts somewhere in the engine if they broke off? do i have any options of using an electric fuel pump?

The bolt head will be in the pan if it broke. Although I have never seen one break in this situation.
As for the elec pump, read my last post, and NO, DONT DO IT.

atcra

Seaman

thank you for all the info...not too excited about this as i have only had this boat out a few times. last goofy question (i think)...do i need to pull the engine for this or can i do it where it is? seems like there is plently of room to remove everything without pulling the engine.

Bondo

Staff member

last goofy question (i think)...do i need to pull the engine for this or can i do it where it is? seems like there is plently of room to remove everything without pulling the engine.

Ayuh,... That depends entirely on the boat, 'n the access it allows to the front of the motor....

atcra

Seaman

once again thanks for the help!

zbnutcase

Commander

You are all wrong. Small block Fords have a 2 piece eccentric for the fuel pump and the outer DOES spin freely, if the bolt broke (NEVER seen it on a Ford) the whole thing would be in the pan...

atcra

Seaman

here is what i know is happening...boat shut off with no fuel coming from fuel pump..figured it was the fuel pump so i ordered a new one from Volvo Penta...installed it....hooked hoses and everything back up along with water hose and nothing...pulled it back off and looked in the fuel pump hole and saw the lobe that does the pressing of the fuel pump arm...spun it with my fingers...it has freeplay...spins freely. I was told that the lobe should be tight and should NOT spin. Is there a secret to getting this in correctly?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was told that the lobe should be tight and should NOT spin.

But, did the people that "Told" you that, actually know what they were talking about? Personally I have been told a lot of things that wasn't correct. I'm not that familiar with Fords, but I do know the eccentric for the fuel pump is 2 pieces and mounted on the front of the cam. Does it spin? very well may be. But your problem could be a lot of other things besides the eccentric or the bolt. If the bolt was broken, the eccentric would have fallen off the front of the cam. If you can, just turn the engine by hand and see (or carefully feel) if the eccentric is actually working or not.

Bifflefan

Commander

Small block Fords have a 2 piece eccentric for the fuel pump and the outer DOES spin freely,

Stick with the chevy's.
Not all fords have a 2 piece eccentric.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Stick with the chevy's. I don't think so anybody can work on those real men drive Fords:)
Not all fords have a 2 piece eccentric. Very true but some do. I cant say for sure on that particular engine. I do know if the bolt broke the eccentric would be in the pan just like stated earlier. Unbolt the pump and crank the engine over 1/4 turn at a time. 2 revolutions. See it the pump has more or less resistance as you do. If yes this is normal. I would just reinstall new pump. New hose to a gas can making sure it is submerged. crank the engine over. Starting fluid in carb about twice. If it will not run on starting fluid it wont do any good to have a working pump untill problem is located.

atcra

Seaman

The guy that told me that it should not spin is ALOT more of a mechanic than i am, i do understands what you are saying Don. I will try what you list above...I have gas primed all the way through fuel/water sep. to the fuel pump and was able to get fuel into fuel pump but not up to carb...it's like that arm is being pressed alittle bit but not enough to get fuel all the way up. Thanks to all for the assistance...will get back alittle later. Thanks again!

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should easily be able to prime right thru to carb. I use an outboard primer bulb on many of my pieces of equip/boats and can always get fuel to carb. When you see good shots of fuel coming from accelerator pump(by moving throttle lever),you know you have a full carb,THEN try starting engine.It should fire immediatly. You can keep engine going with the primer bulb, see if your fuel pump takes over. Dont know beans about your cam setup but it does sound to me like your pump is blocking fuel flow somehow and that would quite possibly be your problem.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's a small metal tab made on the backside of the eccentric that fits into a hole in the camshaft gear.If this shears off the eccentric will not spin when the camshaft turns.You can fix it or install a electric pump kit.

atcra

Seaman

If i choose to install the electric fuel pump, will the eccentric cause more issues? Not really wanting to break engine open if at all possible.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

If it is damaged, it will cause further damage. Find out what is broke and fix it. If it is the cam bolt you will soon jump time.