accidently hooked battery up reversed

batmandougb

Recruit
i have a 03 60hp4stroke i hooked +lead to - post then touched - lead to + post . the battery arc' ed. what damage did i do?

rickryder

Commander
Re: accidently hooked battery up reversed

Have you hooked it up correctly? Do you have power or is everything dead? Check fuses or see if there is a fusable link on the main wire harness.

batmandougb

Recruit

i have hoooked it up corectly. no power to starter. no power too trim. power to aux. power to main lug on engine. jump main lugs and engine turns over.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You blew a fuse for sure. I am not familiar with the charging system or other electronics on that model, but you probably blew something there too. Always an expensive mistake to make.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

There is a 30 amp fuse in the motor harness #11 in THIS DIAGRAM have you checked that?

You will be lucky if you have not blown the diodes in the rectifier. If it does not charge the battery then you have!

( Amazing exactly the same question for a 2005 70hp two days ago on another forum!)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If the charging circuit is inoperative, as Vic states, the rectifier diodes have been blown. The engine will still run with the diodes blown BUT other components may be damaged if the engine is allowed to continue running in that fashion. Best to have the charging circuit problem (rectifier diodes) corrected as soon as possible.