Mercury 125hp tilt and trim troubles

tony-two

Cadet
Happy new year to all.

the motor is a 125hp mercury year 1994, the tilt - trim unit is a motor pump, one piston unit under the motor.
Last time out on the lake bassfishing was a couple days ago, thats when I noticed that as I tilted the motor up to remove the transom support it went up very slow, I could hear the motor on the tilt unit going strong but the piston was doing a poor job lifting.
Likewise at the end of the day, when I lifted the motor to place the transom support back on I thought it was not going to lift enough, and I noticed that the piston ram or shaft had a white substannce like when water and oil mix. Im pirty sure water is in the system.

Questions, can this be fixed, where can I get the repair kit and literature-instructions.
I tryed the FAQ but with no results, I've checked the webb but cant find related info or even a price on a new unit.
Any help will be greatly appriciated.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Mercury 125hp tilt and trim troubles

Happy new year to all.

the motor is a 125hp mercury year 1994, the tilt - trim unit is a motor pump, one piston unit under the motor.
Last time out on the lake bassfishing was a couple days ago, thats when I noticed that as I tilted the motor up to remove the transom support it went up very slow, I could hear the motor on the tilt unit going strong but the piston was doing a poor job lifting.
Likewise at the end of the day, when I lifted the motor to place the transom support back on I thought it was not going to lift enough, and I noticed that the piston ram or shaft had a white substannce like when water and oil mix. Im pirty sure water is in the system.

Questions, can this be fixed, where can I get the repair kit and literature-instructions.
I tryed the FAQ but with no results, I've checked the webb but cant find related info or even a price on a new unit.
Any help will be greatly appriciated.

yes, the single ram systems can bve fixed. Water inside is a serious problem. What you are seeing now is probably caused by the water. Failure to lift properly is actually the less serious problem caused by water. The most serious problem with water is that it can expand during a hard freeze and split your ram.

If your ram does not split than it is a cheap and easy fix. Just rebuild all of the hydraulics. The ram needs to be rebuilt because thats where water gets in. The spool circuit needs to be rebuilt becase it is the low spot where water collects and rusts. The pump needs to be rebuild because water cause the seals to harden. Only thing left is the motor and they seem to outlast mercury hydraulics by a good 5 years.

check ebay or a local hydraulics shop for pump rebuild services. Mercury doesn't sell the internal parts needed and will tell you to buy a new pump assy at $500ish. If you buy used then figure 15 year lifespan.