less oil more gas /ratio

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
was wondering if anyone new what the oil to gas ratio would be if i wanted to run say 60 to 75:1 in an 9.9. has anybody out there tried this. i've done everything else it seems like the new plugs have helped the fouling a little. but would like to try this. but i dont want to do any damage either.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: less oil more gas /ratio

Hello.<br />If you do that,you really dont have to worry about your plugs anymore.You do not need plugs on an engine that has set up and is shot to hell. :confused:

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if this would mess it up i definetly would not try it but i have read on here before were guys have cut the oil back to 75:1 no need for the ratio now i found a web site that helped out with it.<br /><br />gallons times 128 divided by ratio you want<br /><br />example 6 gallons times 128 divided by 75 equals 10.24 verses 15.36

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Gregs<br />I ran as high as 75 to 1 on my 1975 15 HP engine. I have a little mesureing cup put out by Evinrude/Johnson it has 50 to 1 gauge and a 100 to one gauge and I have split the difference. Before you go with less oil make sure the thermostat is working right and engine is warming up. Should not be able to hold your hand on block for more than about one sec. I am trying to solve my plug fouling problem. Several years ago I talk to OMC rep at San Francisco boat show and ask for tips. First thing he ask was is engine warming up. Anyway he also said I could reduce oil to 100 to 1 if I only trolled. He also said if I run wide open at 100 to 1 it will do damage. What he said is many of there motors that have oil injection run at 100 to 1 at idel and trolling speeds then go to 50 to one as go to wide open. Ofcoruse we also know that problems with these systems is one of the reasons they went under. Been running 75 to 1 for two year and see no difference yet. Compression 120 top and 115 bottom. Just took carb off and check but all I found float a little high. Replaced dead ingition coil this week. Going to try decarb thing over weekend. My plugs still foul at 75 to 1 but not near so offten. Good luck

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey boatist,you had told me before about the thermostat. i mentioned it to two marinas in this area and they both told me that i could take that thermostat out. that the only reason they but it in was because people were having problems running these motors in alaska. i met a guy at a service station one night that had a 9.9 15 horse. i asked him if he ever fouled plugs. he said he's never had a problem. these ngk b7hs plugs seemed to help mine somewhat. i dont have the equipment to check the compression. what i really would like to have done is compression check, points replaced and probably new coils.

D

DJ

gregs,<br /><br />RUN away from those idiots that told you to take the thermostat out. If you want to foul plugs, that will do it. You'll also get to coke up your rings and score your cylinders. Won't that be fun.<br /><br />VRO wasn't the reason that OMC tanked, it was bad management. That system (VRO)is the most maligned and least understood system in the world.<br />Bad mechanics that can't fix a sandwich blamed that first. The same thing happened when cars went away from points and later came out with fuel injection. Those that didn't keep up, bashed technology.<br /><br />I'm trying to figure out a way to put one (VRO)on my older (1983) Rude 90. I've got the pump, just aren't sure if it will work with that engine.

alcan

Commander

Hi Greg<br />Bottom line, there is something lacking (Wrong)with your motor. It's never going to operate correctly no matter what you do, Until you repair the problem or problems. Reducing oil in your outboard mix makes about as much sence as not putting any oil in your car because it would just leak out any way. Fix the leak. I have yet to see a machine that will work properly with half the parts removed. Who needs a t-stat,safety switch, starter,prop or a piston? It's the sum of all these parts that make it an outboard. With half the parts missing, it's just a pile-o-junk. Any motor can be repaired, it's just a matter of money. I belive, if you do your home work, get a good manual and read it, use good judgement and a little advice from this board, you will be able to repair that motor at the least possible cost. And not have any parts left over.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

If you're fouling plugs all the time I would start looking at the quality of the gas your using, quality of the oil(how much ash) and even if somebody has over cleaned the jets a few times to many enlarging the holes .001" or so and most of all, adjust the engine carb screws properly to the specs in the manual...but cutting oil to cure these problems...quick way to junk an engine... can't understand why some people won't listen to manufactures but will listen to some ignorant, cigar puffing back woods fisherman who thinks he knows more " 'cause I done it all my life!..."<br />"jus' 'cuase ya drive down the edge of the road on the rim with a flat tire, don't mean ya can drive on ferever"

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Gregs<br />Get the right thermostat and put it in. Your motor will run better use less fuel and it will make big difference in plug Fouling. Plugs have to get hot enough to burn oil off. I do not know where your boat but some of the water here is 40 to 55 degrees, like the pacific ocean 54 degrees in august. Motor will run much better at 150 degrees.