Keeping lines tangle free? SUPER EASY!

Splat

Lieutenant
Hey gang, this was a little video I made some time ago and had posted on youtube for another project I was working on. I had intended to post it here, but for whatever reason I never did.

I was securing some loads in my truck today and had my ropes bundled in this manner and a truck driver saw it, saw me un-bundle it and was simply amazed. It made me remember about this video and how I never got around to posting it here for all to enjoy.

It's a old rock climbers trick I learned to keep webbing clutter free and organized, but have been using this technique on everything from ropes, to taking slack outta cords on wall warts, to storing webbing and para cord.

Ignore my little bit of rambling, and holey jeans, I believe I had just gotten off work and getting ready to head out on the boat when I recorded it.

Let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXJpZUQc0jU

Bill

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Keeping lines tangle free? SUPER EASY!

Thats how I tie up my extension cords but I hadn't thought about my dock lines Thanks nicely done!

Splat

Lieutenant

ha, yea it was showed to me when I first started rock climbing to keep miles of webbing neat and tidy. Ive also heard it called chain braiding.

Bill

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

HA your a rock climber that explains the name!!

Just Kidding I'm a tower Climber we have the same life expectancy.........LOL

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

ha, yea it was showed to me when I first started rock climbing to keep miles of webbing neat and tidy. Ive also heard it called chain braiding.

Bill

I can't pull up Youtube at work... It's blocked. I had a feeling that that's exactly what you were talking about before I finished reading your post. When I was in the boy scouts, I learned to "Chain-braid" a rope. Quick to set, quick to deploy, stays tangle free.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Used to do that years ago but I would always manage to loop it the wrong way in the middle then instead of it just pulling right out you have to undo it by hand, it is a neat trick though and is really slick when it works.

We used that at a sign company I worked for to keep the 100' extenson cords usable.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

My Granddad taught me that at least 45 years ago. It's been around a long long time. I to, use it for extension cords and had never considered using the technique on the boat.

scipper77

Commander

I actually tie of to docks that way. I just make a couple of loops around the dock cleat and make the braid like you showed. The "knot" it makes will not come undone from the boat pulling on that end of the line but when I am ready to untie I just pull on my end and the whole thing comes apart.

I'm not sure if I would use a knot like this if I was going to leave my boat unattended but it has never failed me yet.

aspeck

Staff member

Great video of the Chain-braid technique. We use it for our webbing on the fire apparatus, just never thought of using it for extension cords or on the boat ... duh! Thanks for sharing.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks...I used the single braid but thanks for pointing out the double braid for longer lengths.

shrew

Lieutenant

I use this technique as well. I also learned from climbing/moutaineering. I leave a fender line on all my fenders and braid the line the same way. I pull out the fender and yank on the tail and it's ready to go. I never had much lunk using this to store lines, but it's great for cleaning up the extra length of line when you're tied up to another boat or dock.

Interesting replies, though. I don't see anywhere where the OP stated he 'invented' this, or contended it was a new concept. It looks like he's simply sharing some uncommon knowledge.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, Thank you!!!

What a great way of storing rope. I have always had a problem with my 2 15ft stern lines being tangled when I bring them out of my rope locker. I will do the same method with my 30ft bow line that I keep in the same locker, but don't use very often.

Now I only have to wait for the snow and ice to melt before I can open the boat cover and try this method for myself :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I've also seen with extension cords, but never crossed my mind to use with lines on the boat. I carry a lot, so this could make things really easy for me. I'm gonna see how that works with 100'. The only negative I can see with really long lines is that you have to undo the whole thing to use say the first 25' . . . I guess I end up having to recoil the whole thing no matter how much I use, so maybe I'm whining about nothing. Will see, Thanks!!!

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member

Also seen with extension cords, btu never crossed my mind to use with lines on the boat. I carry a lot, so this could make things really easy for me. I'm gonna see how that works with 100'. The only negative I can see with really long lines is that you have to undo the whole thing to use say the first 25' . . . I guess I end up having to recoil the whole thing no matter how much I use, so maybe I'm whining about nothing. Will see, Thanks!!!

Or maybe you want to do your 100fter in 25 foot sections????

QC

Supreme Mariner

Or maybe you want to do your 100fter in 25 foot sections????
Double and then redouble? I get that, but wouldn't I still need to undo the whole thing to use any of it?

aspeck

Staff member

No, you didn't get what I was saying ... probably because I had food in my mouth when I typed!

Take your first 25 feet of rope and double it, then braid it and tie it off, then take your next 25 feet and double it, braid it, and tie it off, then ... is that clearer or do I have to put the apple chips down? :D

Splat

Lieutenant

No, you didn't get what I was saying ... probably because I had food in my mouth when I typed!

Take your first 25 feet of rope and double it, then braid it and tie it off, then take your next 25 feet and double it, braid it, and tie it off, then ... is that clearer or do I have to put the apple chips down? :D

I'm gonna have to play around with this one one night. I think you would have to start in the middle of the role, and braid each half out from the middle for it to be practical..... then you could undo 50 ft at a time and retain the working strength and use of the other half.
Hmmm......

Bill

QC

Supreme Mariner

is that clearer or do I have to put the apple chips down? :D
I'm afraid to ask, seems like it could be a while . . .

I'll go try with some lines I have in the garage. Your mushy mouth stuff seems like I have 4 x 25 ft. sections of braided line that I can't use in small or big chunks. Maybe you should just come over and show me. Take the 70 to the 44 to the 40 to Barstow, make a left, take the 15 to Chino make a right, go to the end of Eucalyptus and post from there. I'll walk down to the corner and get you . . .

aspeck

Staff member

You could use the it in 25, 50, 75, or 100 foot lengths ... you would just have a braided chain hanging off the end of it. Okay, I will be over ... should be able to make the corner in about 40 hours, give or take a few minutes, and provided I don't sleep on the way ... see you in a day and a half! :p