Thoughts on 2011 Reinell 220 LSE

naturebuoy

Recruit
I am in the market for a 20'-22' runabout for cruising and watersports with family on the Willamette River in Portland, OR, and I'm looking seriously at the Reinell 220LSE to fit the bill. Interested in a 5.7L Volvo GXi 300HP w/ DP, fwd-facing wakeboard tower w/ forks, and extended swim platform. Planning to moor it on the river for the summer (~May-Oct, at best), so not much trailering expected. Hoping to make the final call at the boat show this January, and I'm looking for input from the boating community if Reinell is the way to go! :D

Other 20'-22' competitors in the runnning are from Regal, Monterey, and Chaparral, most likely, but they all seem significantly more expensive than the Reinell similarly equipped, not to mention all three have to ship clear across country from FL or GA compared to the Reinell built locally in OR. That's a big plus for Reinell, and a big savings. Of the four models, I was only able to river test a Regal 2000 in Sept, which was beautiful, but I've been in the others on-shore and frankly feel like the build quality of the Reinell 220LSE is perfectly comparable, and for the price, size, and features is starting to tip the scales as the better deal. Unless the performance and durability of the Reinell just isn't up to snuff with these other models, I feel like it may be the better buy for me.

So what are other's experience with newer Reinell's, and the 220 LSE in particular, in terms of performance, build quality, reliability, durability, and features? Are the higher price tags on the other brands mentioned "worth it", or is one primarily paying for the name?

Lastly, any suggestions for a newbie on things I can do to help protect the new toy from bottom fouling when moored all summer on a relatively cool fresh-water river? I'd like to avoid bottom painting a shiney new boat if I can at all help it.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thoughts on 2011 Reinell 220 LSE

Did you ever make a decision? I have a '07 185 and use it 50+ hrs/yr on the Williamtte. It's been a great boat and I have found it's hull is well made. Where they do save their money is in the fact it does not have some of the features inside of the boat like the Chaparral's do but build quality IMO is equal. Reinell has a good reputation and uses Volvo power plants. They also seem to power the boat correctly, (I've never seen a 4cyl in a Reinell and a 6cyl in anything below the 19'). I don't think you would be disappointed.

FYI-I don't think too many people look at the manufacture threads, let alone the Reinell one...

naturebuoy

Recruit

YES! I pulled the trigger at the boat show and purchased the 220 LSE Riders Series. She's being built as I type, and I should take delivery in April. Very exciting! In the end, I went with the 5.7L GXi 320HP with 4-blade Al prop instead of the DP, along with tower, extended swim platform, dual batteries, and heater. I've got a slip down at Boones Ferry Marina, and I'm itchin' to try her out!

Thanks for the reply to this post. I'm encouraged by the experience you've had with your 185. This was a big decision, and I'm happy to read more reenforcing opinions.

The combination of price, size, quality, and features just could not be matched by other manufacturers once I finished my research. Basically I would have had to step down to 20' models with 5.0L 270HP engines in other makes to match price for what I could get in the 220 LSE. And I just could not justify going smaller when I could get more boat for the same money.

So, this summer will be one to remember on the Willamette for us. Maybe we'll see you out there? Look for the new 220 LSE in black graphics and wave 'hi' sometime! I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Cheers and thanks once again for posting. BTW, got any thread recommendations instead of this one that might get more traffic?

cobberdogger

Cadet

Hey naturbuoy:

Now that your first summer with the Reinell 220 LSE is over, what are your thoughts on the boat? We are currently considering the same boat and very interested in hearing from you. How is the quality?

artruogryfon

Recruit

I have a Reinell 230 LSE with 245 hrs (2006). It has been a tremendous boat for us. We live in Utah, and it is on buoy at a local lake most of the summer. It also goes to Lake Powell for a week or two every year. It is dependable, the upholstery holds up great, the interior still looks very good. We winterize the boat every year (even though it is stored indoors). The drive is pulled every other year and fully inspected. We plan on having this boat for a good long time.....UNLESS we decide to get that 240 SS that is at the dealers right now.

cobberdogger

Cadet

Good to hear, artruogryfon. We are going to our cottage this weekend (last one of the season) and are going to try to get a late-season deal. There is a 220LSE that has been on the lot for the whole summer. It's pretty flashy (bright red dashboard etc.) and has the loud exhaust option which I suspect might be a barrier for some buyers. Comes with the 5.0 GXL 270 HP and trailer. Marina is asking $35K (plus tax). There is also a 200LS with 5.0 GXL 270 HP for $32.5K.