So how many years have you been fishing?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Just curious. I know many of us are lifetime fishermen (persons~gotta stay out of trouble here).
I started fishing at the age of 5 or 6. My Mother was the real fisherman in the family but my Dad went along.
I started hitting the saltwater docks in my area alone at age 7. I was there all day long almost every Saturday fishing for stripers.
I graduated to Sturgeon and then got my first boat at around 25 when I was discharged from the Army in '72. I spent many hours and nights on the boat in the delta area between SF and Sacramento. I also did quite a bit of fishing in the San Pablo and San Francisco bays and offshore for salmon when I got a bigger boat later
Now almost 65 I am land locked. I am down to a 12' tin boat which will be powered shortly by a trolling motor which is all most the local lakes allow here.
I miss the salt water fish over the trout and bass that are in my local lakes but I just cannot afford to live anywhere with salt water and good weather in retirement so upper elevations of AZ have to work for me.
Anyway, I am coming up on age 65 so I have been fishing about 60 years now. I don't even want to think about all the boats, tackle and expenses I have spent over the years on fishing.
And I would not change a thing!:D

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: So how many years have you been fishing?

Right behind you...been fishing saltwater for around 50 years...(I'm 55) couldn't live without it!

Being Portuguese.... it's in the genes!!

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I have known and worked with a lot of Portuguese over the years that loved to fish also.
Most were very dedicated at it too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been fishing fresh for about 70 years, salt, on and off, about 30 years.

scipper77

Commander

I've only been fishing for around 6 years. I've fished here and there before that but didn't really know what I was doing. As soon as I figured it all out I became obsessed.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

I've only been fishing for around 6 years. I've fished here and there before that but didn't really know what I was doing. As soon as I figured it all out I became obsessed.

Watch it, that's when it starts to get expensive. The old saying where I grew up on salt water was "if I just had a bigger or nicer boat I know I could catch more fish".
I owned a lot of them over the years. Never had a new one. I am very handy at fixing things and I can fix anything on a boat including electronics as that was my trade before retirement. I just bought boats that were in need of repair cheap and fixed them up.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Fished my whole life, rarely from a boat though I prefer Fly fishing. I have done Bass fishing from our boat when I was a teenager but soon afterwards we sold the boat and moved to Colorado and that sealed it for me.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Fished my whole life, rarely from a boat though I prefer Fly fishing. I have done Bass fishing from our boat when I was a teenager but soon afterwards we sold the boat and moved to Colorado and that sealed it for me.

I only got to do that for about 2 years while stationed with the Army in Germany. I fished at a little lake near where I fished. I worked the night shift for some time (communications) and got off at 7 AM. I used bait and bottom fished and caught little.
Along came the "keeper" of the lake. He watched out for things and took care of things there I was told. He was old and spoke as little English as I did German at the time. But he brought out some fly fishing equipment and showed me how to use it. What a difference! I found out later that he was some kind of champion fly fisherman from years ago.
When I got back stateside I was stationed in WA until I got out. At one point I thought about getting some fly gear and I went down and tried out some poles. I then found out that in Germany I was fishing with split bamboo poles which I found were pretty expensive and beyond my GI salary so I gave up on the idea.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

started fishing at 10, the west branch of the delawere river in NY for trout with corn and worms... caught some small smallies in the process. moved to florida at 15 and someone showed me the largemouth. been hooked since.( 25 years ) still have not caught a double digit bass yet. when i do she will go on the wall. lots of 7,8,and 9's though........

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Started fresh water fishing when I was 8 or 9 and never let go (60 years ago) ... trained my son when he was 5 or 6 ... trained my grand-kids when they were 5 and 6 ...

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting, I showed my kids how to catch fish with catfish and striped bass.
One boy and one girl but neither have any interest in fishing today.
Oh well, more fish for me!

fishrdan

Admiral

I started when I was 4-5, so that would be around 40 years. I started my kids around 3-4, wife wouldn't let me take them out any younger....

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe she thought you might use them for bait or throw them overboard.
I think I threatened to do that with my son when he got out of line a time or two.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

More than a half century.

Dang! I'm old!

???

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For me, 50 years of fishing.

Started fishing with my grandfather at the age of 3. At age 10 we moved to a home with a trout stream as our back property line and the Potomac River within walking distance.

At age 16 I was introduced to the Chesapeake Bay and got hooked. At age 19 I bought my first beach buggy and took up surf fishing. At age 30 I bought my first offshore capable boat.

Fast forward 23 years. I've not fished the river in several years and last year I missed the opening day of trout season for the first time in 42 seasons. Reason, an early run of migratory Stripers in the area.:D:D

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

My Dad taught me how to swim by throwing me in the lake when I was 3 years old. He pulled me out with a fishing rod and I've never let go. ;) :) That was back in '54.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've only been fishing for about 2 1/2 - 3 years and that's mostly river and bay fishing off the shore. Very little lake fishing, and I kinda suck at it. Caught a few large mouth on rubber worms (wacky worm), one on a banjo minnow (lol), and a couple on some lures I got from my friend (just playing around). Don't really know what I'm doing in fresh water. Only been on a boat in a lake twice. Toss it out there, reel it in, hope to get lucky. Which is really the frustrating part. I never feel like I am doing it right. At the river, I know I'll get bites. Toss out the bait on a slider rig, open a beer, and wait. Going for trout at the stocked lakes is pretty much the same with lighter gear and power bait instead of anchovies/shrimp. I don't really consider that lake fishing, lol. I came into a huge load of lures, but I haven't really given them a chance. I wonder if there are "fishing coaches" like "golf instructors" that would go out with me and teach me how to use my lures.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if there are "fishing coaches" like "golf instructors" that would go out with me and teach me how to use my lures.
Yep, they are called Guides ;)

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, they are called Guides ;)

lol, around here, it's more trips. Never seen an add for a guide for a lake. Pay $70-135 and go out with some guys to a place I'd never be able to get without a bigger boat and usually in the bay or ocean. I'd like someone to go to the shore or out in my boat in a local lake and just pick like 3-4 different lures out of my box that would work there. Then show me how to use them. I'd also like someone to help me learn how to use my fish finder (older not so good one) to see what the floor looks like for where fish would be. I'm new to all of this stuff.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been fishing for 25 years we lived in midland TX. My dad worked for the midland fire department they earned great vacation time. we would go in the summer for weeks at a time enjoyed it very much.I have only fished here in TX hope to change that this summer.My son is 15 he also love it well every one have a great night!!!! :D