Carb question

ripcurl2785

Cadet
hello i have a 351 and i was wondering is i could put a car carberator on it without any trouble? I was thinking maybe a holley street avenger? any sugestions.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb question

Tim, many on this board has asked this question before and the answer or answers are always the same....Please don't do it, you put yourself and anybody within close distance around your boat in danger of being hurt or worse due to a risk of an explosion or fire, I know at first glance the marine carbs an auto carbs look the same, but if you are looking at a holley marine carb, check out the bowl vent tubes, they are shaped like a J but upsidedown pointing down the throat of the carb, this is a safety feature so if and when a float sticks or a needle valve fails the carbs float bowl will overflow into the carb/manifold rather then on top of the motor and into the bilge, also a marine carb has sealed throttle plate shafts to prevent any fuel leakage... auto carbs are not built that way also they are not USCG approved... If you play with fire you will get burnt and we here on this board would not like to read about it, but at the same time you have come to the board and you asked, so that alone it seems you already had a doubt if it was a good idea so we are happy to help.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Don't over carb it either. A standard 600 cfm is fine, a 450 would also be enough.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boatburn.gif

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Merc140, that's too funny! A picture is worth a thousand words as they say!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Been there, done that.<br /><br />NO fun at all :(

im in the same perdicament. What is a good carb for a 351 im looking for more power and i dont think my current carb is the best i can do

Walt T

Lieutenant

What CFM is your carb now? What is your current WOT rpm?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I really like the Edelbrock Performer carb on my car - a 56 Chevy with a 350. (I'm not suggesting you put an automotive carb on... read on!). You can buy a brand new 750 cfm Edelbrock marine carb for $285 from Summit Racing. Here is a link: Summit Racing <br /><br />A rebuilt 600 cfm can be bought for a little less: rebuilt

Walt T

Lieutenant

Okay you'll probably benefit from a larger carb. Edlebrock makes a nice package.