Small boat, big engine

Josedcr

Cadet
I have a 16' fiberglass boat (around 1200 pounds). It is rated for 115 hp. I can get a 200hp motor for it (because is cheap and close to home). I'm not planning to use it at full power and can use a jack plate to get it higher on the transom. I'm not concerned about damaging my current boat in the next couple of years do to the stress of the heavier motor and the leverage, because eventually I can buy a hull that matches the motor hp. Would the heavy motor be unsafe for boat operation? Can I counter weight the front of the boat?

The other option is a 70hp motor that I don't think will move the boat with gas and 4 passergers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Small boat, big engine

Would the heavy motor be unsafe for boat operation? YES!!!

Can I counter weight the front of the boat? NO!!!

If I have to explain it then I WILL be VERY concerned.

I'm just sayin...:D

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would the heavy motor be unsafe for boat operation? yes!!!

can i counter weight the front of the boat? no!!!

if i have to explain it then i will be very concerned.

i'm just sayin...:d

:d :d :d :d :d +1

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

HI Josedcr.

"BLOODY HELL". 200 hp on 16ft. ??????

Only if you are racing in an unlimited power boat competition and the boat is built for it and you are an experienced race driver.

If you are none of the above, Bye Bye.

Paul.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The other option is a 70hp motor that I don't think will move the boat with gas and 4 passergers.

Unless it's horribly waterlogged, the 70 should move a 16' quite well.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do it (200hp) let us know what lake your going to so someone can get this one on u tube.(JK),I wouldnt do it friend.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I do not think the weight of the 200HP motor is the issue. That boat will probably handle the weight just fine. The power is another concern. Some hulls will get real unstable if overpowered. Is the boat a deep vee or modified vee or flat? Deep vee is better for high speed safety.

Bass boats routinely have that kind of power, however, the hulls are made for it. If you can trust yourself (and other users) not to overspeed the hull, and the police don't get you.........

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Mostly likely your insurance company won't touch you with that rig either. If you're insured that is.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Aye..what kind of boat are you going to be jacking this 200 on ?

And is the 200hp a 2 or 4 stroke ?

YD.

ok the 70hp with move it along just great. and the 200hp put it on and when you go full speed you see the boat go one way and the motor go the other and you will be asking why your feet are geting wet:):):):):):)

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 16' runabout with an 80hp merc on it and it does 45kph. I am actually thinking of changing it for a 50hp because I dont like how low it sits in the water.