Looking for replacement rub rail for 1964 Starcraft "Cobra"

sully010

Cadet
Any thoughts on a place where I can find this? Attached are two pictures of the rub rail I'm trying to replace.

I looked at Taco Marine at the suggestion of one user - but it's unclear which one of these it might be - none seem to be a perfect fit - anyone have any experience trying to do this?

http://tacomarine.com/cat--Vinyl-Inserts--cat_rr_vinyl_inserts.html

Many Thanks,

Mike Sullivan
Weston, CT

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for replacement rub rail for 1964 Starcraft "Cobra"

try barbour plastics. If they don't have what your looking for let me know, there are a few other companies that I've used I just can't think of them right now, I'll have to look it up. Sometimes this is not something you can do just looking at some pictures online, give them (TACO and Barbour) a call they may be able to help.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its starting to come back to me now...try Wefco or rubrails.com (never actually used this site but they seem to have a selection) theres more i'll post them as they come to me...

O and Did you look through the iboats inventory?

sully010

Cadet

Thank you. I emailed Barbour Plastics and we'll see what they have to say. None look like they're quite right - but anything is better than what i've got now. Thanks again. Mike

sully010

Cadet

I also emailed Wefco and rubrails.com and Taco Marine - hopefully one of these companies will get back to me with a recommendation.

Many thanks all, Mike

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any luck?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Been there done that. I inquired at the places mentioned above and there is no exact replacement. Wefco has one that is close, but a little smaller and they wouldn't send a sample. I have been told, (and am hoping to get a pic from Bret, the guy with the steam-boat project) that this one will work:

http://tacomarine.com/item--1-3-16-x-1-2-Flexible-Vinyl-Insert--V12-4144.html

This is mine which I think is the same as yours. I actually e-mailed this when I inquired.

79-STARCRAFT-RUB-RAIL.jpg

w.ross

Cadet

Any update on if the one above will work? I'm looking for some for my Nassau...

ducky12

Cadet

Barbour supplied Starcraft with the Rub Rail and they gave me the Starcraft part number. Barbour will sell to you but you will have to buy a whole reel. Forget TACO I already went all through it with them and nothing will work and they were the ones that put me on to Barbour
Just go to your Starcraft dealer with the Starcraft part number and order the number of feet you need.
It's that easy.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Barbour supplied Starcraft with the Rub Rail and they gave me the Starcraft part number. Barbour will sell to you but you will have to buy a whole reel. Forget TACO I already went all through it with them and nothing will work and they were the ones that put me on to Barbour
Just go to your Starcraft dealer with the Starcraft part number and order the number of feet you need.
It's that easy.

I don't know how I missed this post. What is the Starcraft Part Number? Please, please, pretty please!!!!

kbaum

Cadet

Yeah, I am gonna be looking for this same stuff, I think (see measurements in my photo).
rubrail insert.JPG
So far, I found the catalog on the Barbour website and it looks like the closest stuff is on page 29, part # F780:

I think this is the same stuff as what I need. They dont say what color is available, but I assume it would be only in black.

I tried to call them but couldnt get through. I just sent an e-mail and hope to hear back from them regarding pricing. I measured my boat quickly and it seems like I would need about 34' (2X17') of this stuff. If it only comes in giant rolls of 80' or more, maybe some of us could pool together and buy a roll and then split the cost. Let me know if anyone is interested?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I am gonna be looking for this same stuff, I think (see measurements in my photo).
View attachment 85072
So far, I found the catalog on the Barbour website and it looks like the closest stuff is on page 29, part # F780:

I think this is the same stuff as what I need. They dont say what color is available, but I assume it would be only in black.

I tried to call them but couldnt get through. I just sent an e-mail and hope to hear back from them regarding pricing. I measured my boat quickly and it seems like I would need about 34' (2X17') of this stuff. If it only comes in giant rolls of 80' or more, maybe some of us could pool together and buy a roll and then split the cost. Let me know if anyone is interested?

Yes, please post up what you find. I will need 50 feet. My original was a kind of dark red, but black will work too. See my post above but your looks close to mine. I bet our channels are the same.

kbaum

Cadet

Well, I heard back from Barbour and got the bad news:
" I am sorry but we do not have any stock in the F780 nor any allocation to run it. There would be a 2,000 foot minimum run. There are other profiles that are close to that size that may work for you. Let me know if there are any other profiles that you would like me to check stock on"

So, unless we can round up about 40 people, I dont think that one is gonna work! Guess I will have to keep looking for another alternative and see if anyone else comes up with something?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Bummer, I have searched high and low as well and there was a rumor that someone knew someone who said you can still order it from Starcraft. The problem I found is there is no Starcraft customer help number anywhere on their website and the e-mail they have posted doesn't work. I called one local dealer and he wasn't about to go out of his way to help. I wonder how long they used that insert on their boats. Does anyone know of any extremely helpful Starcraft Dealers that may check into this for us? Something tells me our insert is out there....somewhere.

kbaum

Cadet

Good news!
I asked the nice lady at Barbour if they could send samples of stuff they might have in stock. Long story short, I made a ranked list of 15 models....she said I was crazy if I thought they would send me 15 samples, but agreed to send 3 that they have in stock (aka would not have to order 2000'! :( ).
Barbour samples.jpg
I have a good feeling about F2109! Will post back when the samples arrive and provide some good pictures showing how the three samples work out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good work kbaum!!

barato2

Commander

yeah, definitely keep us posted. even for those who ain't doing a full resto, this is one way to make boat look a lot nicer in an area that you see a lot.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Good news!
I asked the nice lady at Barbour if they could send samples of stuff they might have in stock. Long story short, I made a ranked list of 15 models....she said I was crazy if I thought they would send me 15 samples, but agreed to send 3 that they have in stock (aka would not have to order 2000'! :( ).
View attachment 85163
I have a good feeling about F2109! Will post back when the samples arrive and provide some good pictures showing how the three samples work out.

Get them samples yet?

kbaum

Cadet

Yeah, i just got the rub rail samples today. I will try them out tomorrow and post some pics