hand operated vs foot controller

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice
This is my first post on this forum, so bear with me. I plan on purchasing a trolling motor for my 21' pontoon boat. I was debating on getting a foot operated trolling motor (most likely minn-kota), but the more I look, the more I think we can get by just fine with a hand controlled trolling motor. It looks like it has a smaller footprint on the deck of the boat, so less clutter and it looks like it would be easier to remove and store. Any pros or cons from those of you that have used both? Thanks

Re: hand operated vs foot controller

For the boat you have you can't beat a Minn kota with Auto-Pilot and Co-Pilot.

Or even better IPilot.

That way you are tied to a foot controller.

Just keep the small controller on a lanyard around your neck...and enjoy yourself.

With the Ipilot you can retrace a route automatically, and with the electronic anchor..stay at one spot to land a fish etc.

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like a foot control for fishing gives you more fredom for fishing rather than cast motor cast motor. The Auto pilot and co pilot sound nice too. never had the chance to use one . Defently Minn Kota either way you go ..

rjedney

Cadet

This is my first post on this forum, so bear with me. I plan on purchasing a trolling motor for my 21' pontoon boat. I was debating on getting a foot operated trolling motor (most likely minn-kota), but the more I look, the more I think we can get by just fine with a hand controlled trolling motor. It looks like it has a smaller footprint on the deck of the boat, so less clutter and it looks like it would be easier to remove and store. Any pros or cons from those of you that have used both? Thanks

Get a remote controlled trolling motor. I gave myself one for christmas 3 yrs. ago, a 75 pound thrust great white shark. Best gift that i have had in a long time. You will love it guarnteed. pushes my 25 ft. fiberglass pontoon real good

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are a serious fisherperson, you really should have a foot controlled unit. Hand controls will do the job, but the foot print is not really any smaller, and with a quick release plate the motor can be removed in seconds. With a hand control you need three hands. Two for fishing and one to run the motor. With a PowerDrive V2 and a quick release plate the only thing on the boat with the motor removed is the plate.

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like either remote or foot controlled is the preferred way to go. I've been looking at the remote controlled I-pilot and I'll admit it's very tempting. It's more than I was wanting to spend, but it's sweeeeet. I've got a little time to give it some thought.:rolleyes:

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Over the summer I had to purchase a new trolling motor for my Champion Bass boat, I looked at all my options, from the i-pilot to the edge. I ended up with the edge, because for the same money I would get double the power. My boat was orriginaly wired up for a 12/24 Motorguide. I ended up with the 24volt Edge and have never looked back. I can just move where ever I need to in short notice. 70lbs of thrust + 15ft fiberglass boat = one long lasting fishing trip.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

As a Fisherman I like the foot control. The auto pilot is good also.
When I am fishing hands are busy with the fishing pole and foot can control the motor. Remote foot control units would also be good but never tried one.