What to buy for repairs manual

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pretty good to fix out outboards without a manual but I would prefer to have infos for some specified torques for bolts when working on the powerhead. I now have the tools.

What can I buy? Evinrude/Johnson only.

Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: What to buy for repairs manual

I would buy a factory sevice manual from the Ken Cook Company.;)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket manuals that cover a bunch of years and a bunch of models, but if all you want are general specs such as torque values, they are OK. If you want specific service information and aren't in a hurry, surfing EBay can be a good idea. More often than not, you will eventually find someone selling an orginal OMC manual for the model that you have. In many cases, you don't even need the exact year, especially if the motor is an older one.

???

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The factory OMC manuals cover your specific engine only, if it is in the manual it is your engine where the Clymers,Seloc ect, cover many models over many years and none of them well.

So, if you have one engine you are working on get that specific manual, they can be a little spendy but they are worth every penny, never heard anyone regret buying one.

If at all possible get the OMC factory service manual. The others just aren't as good. I've had good luck finding factory manuals on ebay.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket manuals that cover a bunch of years and a bunch of models, but if all you want are general specs such as torque values, they are OK. If you want specific service information and aren't in a hurry, surfing EBay can be a good idea. More often than not, you will eventually find someone selling an orginal OMC manual for the model that you have. In many cases, you don't even need the exact year, especially if the motor is an older one.

???

^^^^^ Picked up OEM manuals for my 6 and 8 HP E/rudes for less than $50- total incl. shipping.
The 8HP manual was brand new, he 6 HP was lightly used and had the odd grease spot....it is now more used, and slightly greasier.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the OMC Factory manuals. The others are good replacements for the old Sears catalogs in the outdoor "Johns".

R1racer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just end up landing an OMC Evinrude /Johnson service manual along with , Johnson Evinrude EC Outboard Accessories manual that covers remote control, battery, fuel tank, System Check engine monitor tilt and trim for my 1998 EC Evinrude 200hp , total of $72 brand new of E-bay .

There is a plenty of manuals in there if you take your time to land the right one