canvas maintenance

Lupus

Seaman
Hi guys,

I have just bought a new canvas for my Four Winns 268. The fabric is said to be Sunbrella. 6-8 months a year my boat incl. canvas sits in a salty environment..... Can someone tell me how to keep the fabric, zippers and the clears in good condition. Thanks.

Lupus

Seaman
Re: canvas maintenance

Sorry if I was not precise.... the boat sits in salty water 6-8 months every year.

Lupus

Seaman

Thanks. I agree. Can you guide me how I shall thread the canvas to begin with and how often I shall rinse it and add any "chemicals" if any. Also do you know if the clears (windows) can be sprayed with something that can help them stay clear for an extended life.

Jeep Man

Commander

Check with the manufacturer/upholsterer. Different materials require different treatments. Some treatments designed to preserve your cover can cause an opposite effect. A petroleum based product, like vaseline will prevent corrosion on the snaps. Let the mfg. know that you are using it near salt water.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. I agree. Can you guide me how I shall thread the canvas to begin with and how often I shall rinse it and add any "chemicals" if any. Also do you know if the clears (windows) can be sprayed with something that can help them stay clear for an extended life.

3m Scotch Guard for the canvas. Make sure the canvas is clean and dry before you spray it on. For the windows, you can safely use a light coating (spray) of 100% pure silicon. The same thing used on scuba gear. It's very important that you use 100% pure. Any impurities will discolor and possibly harden the plastic, causing it to crack over time. Just a very light coat, and buff it in by hand using a soft lint free cloth. Synthetic "shammy's" work well. You can reapply the 3m Scotch Guard and pure silicon spray as often as necessarry. That shouldn't be more than twice per season. Just make sure the canvas is clean and dry every time. Clean it per the manufacturers instructions. Bubba is right on about the bees wax for the zippers. I'm unfamiliar with "white" bees wax. Don't know if it's a brand or an actual variety of bees wax. Bees wax is going to last an entire season, and will only be an annual, or bi-annual application. It will give you smooth operation of the zippers as well as protection from damage. Don't wipe off all the excess little chunks of wax which will be all over the zipper teeth. Run the zipper pull back and forth, end to end as many times as it takes to work the wax into the teeth and inner surfaces of the pull. This is how you'll get the full benefit of the wax. You can use the 100% silicon spray on the zippers, too. Unlike the bees wax, this will not be an annual application. If you use the silicon instead of the wax, you'll need to do it several times throughout each season and it does not provide quite the same level of protection as the bees wax.
I'm not sure what you mean by "thread" the canvas. Are you refering to sewing repairs? Fireman431 is a great person to contact for that.
Good luck, and post some pictures:D.

Safe and happy boating always!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do as advised above - - Don't use clorene of any kind to get rid of meldew as it eats the thread. After a few yearss don't be surprised if some of the seams split - - when they do take it to a canvas shop to be resown.

How do I know? My canvas (Bimini & dodger) are 15 years old and still serviceable - - had them resewn twice.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just thought I'd add that no matter how tempting it may be, never use a glass cleaner on the Eisenglass! Glass cleaner contains ammonia and it will cause your clear windows to yellow and crack.

Use a good non harsh boat soap and then you can follow that with a plastic polish on the windows.

14 years so far on my original campertop.