Installing a Merc 115 in place of Merc 200

tsimpson-az

Cadet
I have a Ranger with a blown 1985 Merc 200 Black Max. I picked up a good 1980 Merc 115 (Thunderbolt) from a friend. I am thinking about putting the 115 on the boat and have a few questions.
Control cable: The control cable on the boat for the 200 is a 8 pin connector that looks just like the one for the 115. Will the one on the boat work with the 115?
Engine mount: The 115 has a manual mount with no power tilt/trim. The one on the 200 mounted to the boat does have power tilt and trim. It looks like I would be able to mount the 115 to that mount since the main pivot shaft (don't know the correct name) looks like it is the same size. I would have to also pull and remount the two solenoids that operate the tilt/trim motor, but that looks easy. Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks for any feedback or tips.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing a Merc 115 in place of Merc 200

I am pretty sure the tilt/trim is compatible between units but you might be underpowered.
The 85 was 200 rated at the prop, but the 80 115 is rated at the head and so is only about 90hp at the prop.
I think mercury changed the rating method around 82...

tsimpson-az

Cadet
Re: Installing a Merc 115 in place of Merc 200

I forgot to mention that both controllers are QuickSilvers even though the driver's end look different, the throttle and gear cables are the same and of course the engine plug are the same. The engines both use the same wire color combinations.