1987 Evinrude 4hp - Flywheel threads?

labougie

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the UK, needing to buy a harmonic puller to get the flywheel off a
BE4BRCUD. What size are the three threaded holes in the flywheel that the puller bolts attach to? Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 Evinrude 4hp - Imperial or Metric threads?

Re: 1987 Evinrude 4hp - Imperial or Metric threads?

Am I dealing with imperial or metric bolt sizes and threads?
Not only Imperial but UNC I think you will find

1/4" Whitworth will screw into my 6hp ... also Belgium made ....but of cousre Whitworth has a 55? thread whereas UNC is 60? although they both are 20 tpi

You should use high tensile, grade 8 , bolts.

With a small engine like a 4hp the method used for Seagull flywheels might work. See the Saving old Seagulls website http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/.

Why are you taking the flywheel off there are no points under there on an '87 model

labougie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Evinrude 4hp - Flywheel threads?

Aha. In my ignorance, points were exactly what I was expecting to find under there. Am I wrong in thinking that electronic ignition didn't come in on these 'till the early 90s?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

4hp. 70-76 breaker point,77-80 cdi, 81-85breaker point,86-89 cd on Deluxe,Excel & Ultra
other 4s are breaker point.I don't have info after 89.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

On further investigation I think it may have points. Some do some don't. I think the Belgium made ones probably do.

If it has a power pack and HT coils then there are no points but if the plug leads come directly from the magneto coil under the flywheel then I was wrong and it does have points.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Yup, the plug leads come from under the flywheel. There's some confusion here, because searching Crowley Marine's parts catalogue with BE4BRCUD doesn't turn anything up. Looking at the 87 Evinrudes in the same catalogue they are cosmetically different and also have a power pack and iginition coil. My outboard looks cosmetically the same as the '86 Evinrude in the Crowley catalogue which does have points and it looks as though the flywheel has to be pulled to get at them - there's no access plate on the top of the flywheel. I've emailed Crowley to find out whether the '86 diagrams are the same as mine. Is it normal to have to pull the flywheel to adjust/clean the points? As you can tell, I'm new to this engine and haven't got a manual yet.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

It is sometimes a problem to find the Belgium built models on the American parts websites.
I suspect the problem lies with models built for the European and UK markets.

Take at look at the official BRP parts website at http://shop.evinrude.com/ go to the electronic parts catalog and find E4BRHCUD

I think, apart from that number being for models without an integral tank (BRH models), it will match yours.
The parts list itself does cover the models with an integral tank, namely the BR models.
I have not compared what you have found for an 86 model with the parts list for the above models but at a quick glance they appear to be the same.

For parts suppliers in the UK try
Oakley marine in Brighton, www.outboards-direct.co.uk.
or Willsmarine in Kingsbridge, Devon www.Willsmarine.co.uk

I have had good service from Oakley and users of www.YBW.com/forums have reported good service from Willsmarine.

If you quote your model number to a UK dealer they should be able to match it to the parts you require. Crowley and other American dealers may not. You won't be wanting to import parts from the USA presumably.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not sure what Vic means by the "Seagull method" but I suspect it equates to => on a small motor like that I've never had to use a puller.
Loosen the F/W nut until the nut is just "proud" of the thread ends ....support the edge of the flywheel so that it is taking the weight of the motor....and give the nut a rap with a 2-4 pound dead blow or similar hammer. (I have a beauty that is rawhide on one face, brass on the other.)

Should pop right off.
Make sure that the nut is backed off sufficiently that you will not damage the thread end.

Good luck.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Not sure what Vic means by the "Seagull method"
Exactly as you describe as you will find if you follow the link.

Seagulls have no provision to bolt on a puller and if people try to hook a puller on to the flywheel it is usually curtains for the flywheel.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Exactly as you describe as you will find if you follow the link.

Seagulls have no provision to bolt on a puller and if people try to hook a puller on to the flywheel it is usually curtains for the flywheel.

That's what I thought...my security utility blocks a lot of links.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to Vic.S for the info - E4BRHCUD does look the same without the tank but I'll check Oakley when they're open again.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

Vic.S - All my tools being metric, is it a set of AF spanners and sockets I need for this? Or Whitworth? Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Imperial AF !

You'll not need may sizes so don't rush out and buy sets.
Measure across opposite faces and just buy the sizes you need.

Most of what I can see on mine are 3/8" plus some 7/16" I think. Cylinder head bolts are 1/2" and flywheel nut is 3/4"

I have loads, mine and my late fathers, cos we had them for ours cars before cars went metric.

labougie

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't come back with my thanks for all the info. The "Seagull Method" worked a charm - no need for a puller. Not only that, it was very comforting to see all that brand-new-looking stuff under the flywheel. A swift cleaning and re-gapping for the points and all was hunky-dory. Thanks to Vic.S and Tim Frank, cheers, labougie