Ski pole fishing boat setup?

runabout367

Cadet
I am trying to setup an easy way to remove and install a ski pole with minimal poles and brackets. I basically want a simple quick way to put up the ski pole when Im not fishing. I have a 175 Ultima fish/ski boat.

My plan is to use my back seat base with a fixed pedestal stem and insert the ski pole inside and bolt them together. With no other supports will this hold up pulling a single tuber. My seat base is bolted with 6 screws and nuts through 1" wood and a thin aluminum backing.

What are your thoughts? Do i need to place other supports.

s7_020673_999_01.jpg

pole.JPG

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ski pole fishing boat setup?

You will definitely need side supports.

Based on a couple of boats I've had, one with a pylon base mounted high enough so the main post was only 12", the other boat with a pole mounted to through the deck to the floor for main pole about 38." BOTH absolutely needed the side supports and I'd say that 85% of the load is carried by those supports. Quick release pins at the base of my side supports made them easy to remove.

JMD1

Recruit

You will need the angle supports! I put one in my dads Starcraft using the rear seat post pocket.It works great.

j_martin

Admiral

There's way too much moment (prying force) to use a pedestal mount without braces. Even with the braces, it's plenty tough on the boat pulling a tube.

You should be able to get an off the shelf setup that has two very short posts put in the floor near the transom on each side, a piece to replace the chair with a pylon, and two braces that go between the pylon and the transom posts. It all clips in very quickly and easily.

Here's mine. Never mind the wheelie.

Thumbsup.jpg

t-stand.jpg