Motor height on transom

smaples

Seaman
I like to fish in shallow water and was wondering how high I could move my motor up on the transom. I can move it up about 2" with the existing holes. The boat is a action craft and has a small pocket or tunnel to allow water to be fed to the prop. What determine how high the motor can go with out causing problems or affecting performance?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Motor height on transom

What determine how high the motor can go with out causing problems or affecting performance?

Ayuh,... Whenever the prop can't get clean enough water to Bite,... You've gone Too Far...

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...set the motor height where the ventilation plate is within +/- 1" of the bottom of the transom. Adjust from there for best performance. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What motor?
Raise the motor to the point just before venting becomes a problem.
A 4 blade will help allow max height. Be sure it pumps water at speed.
A power jack plate will allow you to raise the motor to match conditions.
Depending on the motor its possible you could run in 12 or 15" of water at no wake speed just be sure it pumps water.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If this doesn't have a pee hole I would be really careful, you can go as high as it will still get water, being a tunnel hull the "level with the bottom" rule doesn't really apply to you.

Go as high as you can without blowing out or loosing water to the engine btu I think you will have to play with it to find out where that is.

I would also reccomend smart tabs or a foil as that will help you get up and out as soon as possible, I am a former skinny water guy myself but after my 3rd lower unit I have moved on to the deeper part of the river.

I ran a foil and it got me on plane at 10-12mph.