New to the forum-Need some advice on keeping boat dry at slip

LiquidAssets

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a new boat owner, with little experience....so I need some help!

I bought the boat last fall(19ft Baja open bow)....and used it maybe a couple times before I winterized it. The first problem I noticed is that the boat doesn't have an automatic bilge pump. I have a pump, but not automatic. The boat will be stored at a slip, and I need a bilge to deal with the rain water. Should I get this done professionally? And does anyone have brands they prefer? I would rather spend a couple extra $$, rather than have the boat sink(happened to both of my neighbors)

Second question. The boat came with a custom snap-on cover, but this is the farthest thing from waterproof. I'm looking for a cover that will keep rain water out, but be easy enough for me to remove and throw back on if I just want to take the boat out for a couple hours after work. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!
Probably should be waiting until the spring to deal with this, but too excited.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to the forum-Need some advice on keeping boat dry at slip

There are pumps with built in auto switches and water sensors. I like the kind that cycle every 3 minutes to check and pump water out. They are very reliable and don't use much power. I think Rule makes them. It would be a simple matter for you to cut the old pump wires and install the new pump. The automatic wire goes directly to the battery, with an inline fuse.

Why not Scotch guard that snap in cover. It might make it waterproof.

Bondo

Staff member

Should I get this done professionally?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...The answer to that question depends on how Handy ya are....

I have 2 bilge pumps with Auto-switches in mine... Safety in redundancy...
And does anyone have brands they prefer?
It's hard to go wrong with Rule...
Second question.
You'll probably have the Best luck by finding a local Canvas Shop ti fix ya up...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

DEFINITELY get an automatic switch! They're pretty easy to install but if you're not comfortable doing it then have a pro do it to assure it's done right.
The cover- if your existing custom cover is polyester and not ripped, clean it and apply waterproofing.
I use a 50% solution of white vinegar and a stiff brush to clean polyester. Rub lightly.
ScotchGuard, 303, MaryKate are all good waterproofers. I use MK with good success.

LiquidAssets

Seaman Apprentice

Got it, thanks.

I'll check out Rule and find a local canvas shop in the spring. Will these custom canvas covers keep the water out? Assuming I have the cover raised in the right places.

Can I keep the old bilge pump and run a new automatic one? Looking for peace of mind when I'm away from the boat and having two sounds pretty good. I have a handy marine mechanic down the street that could help out....so maybe we'll have a few beers and throw it in there.

Bondo

Staff member

Can I keep the old bilge pump and run a new automatic one?

Ayuh,... You can just add a float switch to the present pump's wiring...

I've had just the opposite experince with the 'puter chipped pumps as Chris...
It drained my batteries in No Time...
I switched it over to a seperate float switch hardwired in-line to defeat the 'puter in it...

I prefer oversized pumps, wired through float switches myself...
I wouldn't buy a pump rated under 1000 gal....

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have room add a float switch to your existing pump do it, and for sure get a second auto pump, the self contained auto pumps seem to do a good job as a primary because they get a little more water out than the float switch operated ones BUT the float switch system has been traditionaly more reliable. A trick my boat shop buddy told me for mounting pumps is to use bondo on the strainer cup instead of screws

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

If your canvas is not waterproof, you may have a couple options. spray a marine grade waterproofer if you have an acrylic cover, Try to have a solution dyed polyester cover like top gun or a vynil coated polyester cover made by a marine canvas shop. Check into proper draining and venting options like boat vent II. A quality cover will keep out the water, keep dry rot and black stains from forming and save you from mechanical corrosion. automatic bilge pumps ( a must have) ony remove water after it enters the bilge. You will find a proper cover is the best insurance for keeping your boat like new.:)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Will these custom canvas covers keep the water out? Assuming I have the cover raised in the right places.

Absolutely, and since they're custom-made, they are tighter than those 'semi-custom' covers that are mass-produced.
Custom canvas work isn't cheap but, if taken care of, will last a long time and protect the interior of the boat.
One more thought- awhile back I had a boat with a custom cockpit cover but still strugged with rainwater. Turned out the rain would run off the cover and go directly into one of the bilge vents.
I had a new cover made with flaps to cover the vents- no more water!
Here's a pic. of it:
boat7.jpg

1st the bilge pump is easy to install take out the old one and wire the new one in its really easy say yourself the money.

2nd that cover you should always keep that on when your not on the boat and its a slip or mooring it will keep people out from see what you have, and it will keep the sun from fading your interior. There are many products out there that can be sprayed on that will make that cover water proof. 303 does a great job of water proffing anything. your better off buying a waterproofing spray then spend money on a new canvas that can run you up around $500 and above.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go with a mechanical float switch type of pump. Not the auto sensing pumps as I have had bad experiences with them as well. Drained two batteries in just a few days.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Full size Rule 1500 if you have room, compact Rule 1100 if space is tight, rigged to a Rule float switch by someone that knows how to do it right.

LiquidAssets

Seaman Apprentice

A covered lift would be great, but this is a public marina and that's not an option. Unfortunately the cover I have has a few rips and tears in it....Might have to bite the bullet and get a new custom cover. Thanks for the picture, that's exactly what I need. I'll have to visit the local canvas shop in the spring and see what the options are.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not to repeat the above, but my $.02 (I have always kept a boat in the water)

A lot depends on how often you (or the marina) will check on things. Most boats could handle a big rain storm and not sink (w/ no pump) but not an accumulation. After all, theoretically, you don't need a pump at all with a perfect cover--but no one who knows boats would recommend that, because with boats, stuff always goes wrong!

get a seperate float switch and pump. Hook directly to the battery so you can cut off all other power to the boat. If you have a good cover you should be OK.

Do not get the cycle on/off pump.

Eventually covers will let water through; some boaters use them more for sun and dirt, leaves, etc and let them leak and drain (on a trailer for example). So keep an eye on it, and re-waterporrof if your objective is a bone-dry boat (oxymoron in reality!)

Covering a boat completely, especially at a slip, is a pain, but that's the trade-off of clean/secure v. convenient. Many people prefer open boats that don't need covers for this reason. Others just cover parts of the boat