350 Mag Exhaust

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The starboard exhaust hose on my 350 Mag Mercruiser has developed a hole, so exhaust gas and water leak into the engine compartment. I loosened the hose clamps and used a heat gun to try to get the hose off the riser. It is loose from the riser, but it is just too stiff in these cold temps and with the spiral wires inside. I just cannot muscle it back off the riser. Can I use a prybar without breaking the riser? Is there risk of damaging the muffler If I pry too hard? The hose is about 4' long and runs to a bulkhead where it connects to the muffler. Is there a trick to removing this hose? I guess I could cut it, but I'm not looking forward to that. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 350 Mag Exhaust

When those exhaust hoses get holes in them, it's almost always due to being burned due to lack of water in the exhaust. Have you had any overheats lately?
Not sure what your setup is like, can you post a picture? Most Mercruisers, you just remove the riser to get the hoses off.

Bondo

Staff member

Can I use a prybar without breaking the riser? Is there risk of damaging the muffler If I pry too hard?

Ayuh,... Take the riser Off to gain space to work....

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. Now that you say that it seems rather obvious. DUH!!!!!!!! The original owner of the boat replaced the engine about 500 hrs ago, but there's been no overheat since we got it.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Removed the riser and it pried off in short order. Now to get the muffler end off. One benefit of removing the riser was to get a good look inside the riser and manifold and they look great. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited: