Remote Control Issue 90 hp

tinrunner2

Cadet
This remote goes to a 1986 Johnson/Evinrude 90hp outboard. When I raise the fast-idle lever the throttle on the engine only moves a tiny bit. It feels as though the lever wants to move, then slips to the end of its travel. (The outboard runs great once its warmed up.) I did have to replace the kill switch about two years ago - I don't remember having any "left over" parts after the fix, but I swear I can't figure out why the lever won't move the throttle any more than it does! Any ideas would be appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote Control Issue 90 hp

The warmup lever normally doesn't move the throttle linkage much. That's normal. Usually the throttle warm up lever will move the throttle just enough to contact the roller, then move the roller slightly-opening the butterflys a little and advancing the timing slightly.
Remove the cowling and have someone advance the warmup lever while you watch the linkage movement and see if that's what is happening.

tinrunner2

Cadet

Thanks. I'll check the movement at the spark advance. I appreciate your advice!

tinrunner2

Cadet

The warm up lever still isn't working as it should (or used to). Moving the lever doesn't do anything to increase the rpm at idle. Taking the rig to my mechanic tomorrow. Maybe its the control cable. I dunno. Frustrating!

big red one

Recruit

I have the same problem with my remote. Did you find out the reason your warm up lever wasn't working? Thanks.