2000 225hp ficht cuts out for 10 minutes

mattij

Recruit
Hi, I am cruising along at 20 knots and about 30 minutes into a trip the motor just dies, like someone turned off the ignition. Go to restart the motor and you get the normal start checks, gauges wokr, trim works etc but no starter motor, wont turnover at all.

Leave it for 10 minutes (maybe to cool down) and away she goes like nothing happened. Well she goes for another 20 minutes then same problem.

Have replaced the ignition switch, been to the dealer who coldnt fault it, computer showed nothing wrong, auto electrician replaced the starter and ignition relays which seemed to be overheating but still no luck.

Motors runs a treat otherwise.

Any suggestions

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 2000 225hp ficht cuts out for 10 minutes

I would guess the EMM is overheating. Check the cooling hoses. If you had a laptop and diag sw connected, you would be able to see this happening, if this is what's wrong.

v20 outrage

Cadet

You have a water cooled EMM & my EMM [ same engine as yours ] is at DFI Technologies right now, being rebuilt for the 2nd time, because the cooling tube that runs through the EMM gets clogged & the EMM over heats & it aint gonna cure it's self.
The water that runs through your EMM also cools your fuel vaporizer that is supposed to cool your fuel, but when that line gets clogged, nothing gets cool.
Once your EMM cools down, it allows your engine to run again until the EMM heats up again & that's all she wrote when she over heats again.
Pull the hose off the bottom of your EMM, start the engine & wait 2-3 minutes to see if any water comes through, & if none, you better prepare yourself for a rebuild on your EMM.
You can also pull the hose going into the top of your EMM & start the engine to see if water is getting to the EMM, but nothing coming out the bottom.
Completely go through your cooling system & I think your gonna find it clogged up, especially going into & through the EMM.
If that passage way is clear, you will be able to run a 1/4" screw driver straight through the EMM water passage, but I think your only going to be able to go in about an inch, leaving the other 5" clogged solid with salt or silt.
Good luck.
Sal

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Didn't you get any warning lites on your System Check gauge or any warning horns ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

IF the EMM is overheating for any reason, the CHECK ENGINE light comes on and the motor slows to about 2500 rpm.

Your description of the motor suddenly shutting off and not starting is the classic symptom of an internal failure of the EMM. DFI Technologies knows the problem well and will fix it with higher quality parts than original ones.

What you may also realize is that when you try to start the motor after the sudden shutdown, the electric fuel pump will not run when you turn the key on. After the EMM cools down enough, you will then hear the pump as well as be able to crank over the engine.