Transom drain plugged

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a 16' Jon Boat from a company restocking in new.

400$ each and 5 to pick from... I was first there :)

Noticed today they lost transom drain plug and filled with JB WEld :)

Any easy way of getting it out?

Maybe heating?

angus63

Captain
Re: Transom drain plugged

I would suggest just drilling thru the epoxy to the minor dia of the original thread size and retapping. Good score and good luck!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree, Drill it out.
Heat will not do much to JB Weld..

cribber

Lieutenant

Only other way is to heat it above 600F. That stuff is meant to be permanent once cured.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Il try and find a drill the same size thx

Shouldn't have any problem finding a bit the size of a plug tube, but it might be a little spendy. Alternatively, you could just drill a pilot hole and cut the rest of it with a jigsaw. Sawsall would probably be too big. Now for the $64 question; do they have any of them there $400 16' john boats left?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Is it the screw-in garboard plug (about 1/2") or the push-in rubber plug (about 1")?
If its the Garboard it might be easier just to install a new one, but if you drill out don't hit the threads, then tap out.
If the big ones (which is preferred IMO so you don't need a bilge pump) I'd drill it out. If you don't have the big bit, maybe a hole and then a grinder.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

16' jons usually have a drain tube that's plugged with an expansion plug.

Drill it out as much as you can, then chisel out the rest. Might take awhile to get there, but should be good as new when finished ... ;)

tin

Seaman

You could use a dremel if you have one with a ceramic bit

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shouldn't have any problem finding a bit the size of a plug tube, but it might be a little spendy. Alternatively, you could just drill a pilot hole and cut the rest of it with a jigsaw. Sawsall would probably be too big. Now for the $64 question; do they have any of them there $400 16' john boats left?

---------------------------

They should but in CANADA

Theres one 17' I took a 16

http://bathurst.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...dle-Aluminum-Boat-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ247304763

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Cookin' Rubber no threads.

I might try heating it a bit to see if it comes brittle.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

If the big ones (which is preferred IMO so you don't need a bilge pump) I'd drill it out. If you don't have the big bit, maybe a hole and then a grinder.
:confused:

Since it is a plug, should be able to drill out the center a common 1/2" metal drill bit, which will leave approximately 1/4" around the inside of the hole. then use a de-burring bit to remove more of it, almost but not right to the metal, then a long narrow screwdriver to pry out the remaining material. Once it gets thin against the aluminum it should flack off easily.

Maybe use a small drum sander attachment instead to finish it off.

Or you could us a thin sharp edged file to cut 4 or 5 notches into the material after the hole was drilled, and then try prying out the sectioned plug material.

Be as careful as you can not to cut into the aluminum but it wont be the end of the world if you nick it. It can be smoothed out.

You have had a lot of suggestions, any of which will work. Start with the easiest, least aggressive, and work your way up.

Good luck, have fun, and take back your cold weather.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Its JB weld. The material is solid but the bond to aluminum isn't as strong.

Drill a pilot hole in the middle to eat as much as the material away as you can. Using a sharp chisel or screwdriver, hit the remaining pieces and it will more than likely break off in sections. I've done it. It's not that tough.

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fireman431... You could be right... water rained in it and it was leaking where plug is... so the bond can't be that good.

I might drill with 1/2 and use hacksaw blade to cut rest and out and punch.

I have another issue with boat being a short transom 16' where my motor is about 22'

was thinking of taking out plywood and raise with new cut but id loose the aluminum edge on it.

The transom should be strong enough to use a jackplate because guy said they only used 9.9's on there boats. mines a 20hp merc .

Still have to buy a prop for this motor and fix up boat and weld a few cracks, was on a sailboat so they bought a 7pitch prop. I need about a 9p , stock prop is 9x10 Il go 9x9.

Moderator here posted homemade jackplate here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=453211

Might try that or make jackplate with 4 aluminum 90degree angles so i can set height.

Its a older 20hp merc... I could try and buy a housing and shaft, i'm trying to trade for short in other forums... but looks like i might jack plate after xmas.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'd just replace the garboard with a new one. Sounds easier to me then drilling, sanding, grinding, filing, heating, chiseling, etc. But that's just me. :)

NYBo

Admiral

The transom should be strong enough to use a jackplate because guy said they only used 9.9's on there boats. mines a 20hp merc .
Huh? Your logic appears to be completely backwards. A jackplate increases the stress on the transom, given equal motor weights, and I'll bet your 20 is heavier than a 9.9. Dare I ask what the maximum horsepower rating on the capacity plate is?

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rated for 25hp

I only meant the transom should be in top shape being used with a small motor

NYBo

Admiral

Rated for 25hp

I only meant the transom should be in top shape being used with a small motor
Ah, now I get it. Carry on!:redface:

The best solution would be to use a short-shaft motor, either a different one, or swapping legs on your current one.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'd just replace the garboard with a new one. Sounds easier to me then drilling, sanding, grinding, filing, heating, chiseling, etc. But that's just me. :)

a wink is as good as a nod , to a blind man.... :D