Wakeboarding buddies in Columbus, Oh

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sup! My partner and i got our second boat last year. Our first was an 82 Sea Ray i spent 4 years restoring. After spending a season boating with it and learning how to wakeboard, we realized it was underpowered. We got our 96 Bayliner 1950 this past year, and traded the Sea Ray for a 98 Seadoo. The problem we discovered, is that we are in the wrong part of tbe county to find others who share our love for the water. We're looking for others to hang out on the water this coming summer!

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wakeboarding buddies in Columbus, Oh

I have the same issue, I've converted a couple snow boarding buddies who now love to wakeboard. Just tell them its pretty much the same thing, although not really.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You gotta make your way north this summer, up in the Toledo area we have a large wakeboard community! I hear Alum creek also has a good crowd as well as Grand Lake! Well that is if Grand Lake will be usable this summer.

A video me and a few guys did last year on the Maumee River.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VskQ_hTigQ

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, for sure! Just ordered the Joystick Tower for the boat, already thinkin about the water! I took a nasty spill down at Norris last year (first year boarding) towards the end of the season, and it made me shy away for the last month or so. Faceplants hurt like hell! Completely hyped this year to get back out there, especially with the new tower! We'll all have to meet up sometime this summer.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man, for sure! Just ordered the Joystick Tower for the boat, already thinkin about the water! I took a nasty spill down at Norris last year (first year boarding) towards the end of the season, and it made me shy away for the last month or so. Faceplants hurt like hell! Completely hyped this year to get back out there, especially with the new tower! We'll all have to meet up sometime this summer.

LOL face plants hurt LOL yea the first one I took, took my breath away! I just laid back in the water on my back while the boat turned around, once they pulled up next to me they were having a blast describing the sound of the smack from me hitting the water.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hell yeah. I took some before, but lucked out in that my face was the only thing that smacked and then my body dove down. Unfortunately when I did my last one (that took me out for the season) my face hit and my board came up from behind me and flew forward as my head was held stationary in the water making my back collapse into a '<' I thought I broke my back. When I came to, my legs were tingling and I couldn't feel my hands. Pretty scary.
You're pretty new at boarding as well right? Do you keep the fins on the bottom of the board. I kinda came up with my own theory that it was those things that made me go down. How fast do you normally go? We try and keep it around 25-ish.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This past year was my second season wake boarding. I took it on as a quest after having a re constructive surgery on my left leg to lengthen my Achilles tendon two years ago this month. I still have limited movement and strength in my left leg so I keep my boarding simple, and keep the board in contact with water. I do keep the fins on the bottom of my board because without them the board is way too loose on the water for me. I like a speed of about 22mph since i am not trying to get air born. I am going to try and take on Wake Skating this year. I think it will be a better platform for me to learn some tricks, since it allows me to take advantage of the little range of movement and strength I have in my leg considering its not attached to the feet like a wakeboard.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a vid of a bunch of wipeout that me and a few guys that i started with took the first year i began wakeboarding. I made this vid for pure comic enjoyment.

This is a shot of my rig, before and after i rebuilt it last winter.

before
IMG00033-20100102-1249.jpg

This is a side by side of before and as it was being rebuild
beforeafter6.jpg

After
IMG01059-20100808-1809.jpg

IMG00515-20100702-2158.jpg

IMG00522-20100703-1305.jpg

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy crap! The one at .33 is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! OUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH. Why is always so funny to watch? Its always hard to see a crash like that and not laugh at the person when u go pull their lifeless body out of the water.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat looks sweet man. Coming from a rebuild of a 82 Sea Ray fron the transom wood and stringers up, I know where you're coming from! Looks fantastic!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The one at :33 is me I think that was my first time up! lol

Yea I redid the hole boat because of bad stringers, the transom was solid.