Holy stubborn outdrive. I cant get it back on.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Help from the pros please?, i removed my Mercruiser one drive. Replaced the impeller and the o rings and gaskets and this bugger does not want to go back on. I purchased an alignment tool and it slides in now with 2 fingers. I rotated the motor and have the prop on so i can keep forward pressure on it and rotate the shaft at will. I know i have the shift cable lined up with the square opening and the forward reverse lined up with its receiver. It doesnt even get onto the studs. It bottoms out before it even gets on the studs. Maybe the u joint is flopping and wont line up though I am turning the prop when pushing inward. This thing is kicking my butt. I have fought with this for hours.

I am thinking of buying a dummy shaft with splines on it to see if it slides in. Maybe the female end is buggered up.

My used boat parts dealer is not cheap and this dummy will prob be 50$,

Question. Does this sound like the next thing i should try?
Dummy shaft? Or is there a trick i dont know about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Holy stubborn outdrive. I cant get it back on.

Have you rechecked your alignment? You may have bummped and moved the inner part of the gimbal bearing which will not let the drive go together.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

If you mean with the alignment shaft (no splines), yes. After i adjusted the motor mount. I rotated the motor with a socket on the crank and then checked with the tool. Still goes in with 2 fingers.
Thank you for your advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, checking it with the alignment bar, but have you rechecked it since you couldn't get the drive on. You may have hit the gimbal bearing with the drive and knocked it out of alignment.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Yes sir, I checked it prob 25 times today. Every time i back the drive out for another go i check it. I have been somewhat gentle with it when it bottoms. Dont want to bugger the splines. This dang reef fodder is actually getting me in shape the amount of times i climbed the dive platform ladder and then back out to jack with the drive.

Fun Times

Staff member

Here is a trick I do that normally helps me, Take your trim ram cylinder Pin/Bar and set it behind the bellhousing so that it rest in between the bellhousing and the gimbal ring, This will hold the bellhousing level so you can install the drive much easier. Also ensure the steering (gimbal ring) is perfectly straight, If it's turned a little, It can be very difficult to install.

Trim Pin/Bar, See #13 for example.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=180&bdesc=TRIM+CYLINDERS+AND+HYDRAULIC+HOSES

ziggy

Admiral

are ya using a drive stand to support the drive?

what i've found is that if your not getting a real straight shot when lining up the drive and the bell housing. it gives trouble letting the drive slide on.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

My splines on my drive shaft weren't aligned with the coupling shaft splines. I had my son bump the crank with a braker bar while I pushed on the drive and it just hopped on.

Seems like I struggled for quite a while before we tried that.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, Boat Tech, i didnt think of the steering. I will try
that tomorrow. Zig it is on a stand but when i make my
approach it looks dead nuts on. Spark thats why i was thinking a dummy shaft to check the splines. Does anyone think the dummy shaft with splines would be worth the 50 bucks? Does anyone use one? I do have twins and will be doing this again. and again.
Well guess i should try the above first. In the am.
Thanks friends. You folks are great.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Just for reference for all other fresh meat trying this. I put in a new impeller housing with the rubber for the new seals. The upper seals concern me though so i will be doing a pressure test before getting this planter wet again. IF I CAN get this drive back on. Thanks again. Will post what works.

ziggy

Admiral

Does anyone think the dummy shaft with splines would be worth the 50 bucks?
i don't think so. if the alignment bar goes in with two fngers. alignment isn't the problem imho....

only other thing i can think of is i know i've had to spin my prop ccw thus rotating the drive shaft so the splines line up with the coupler. sounds like ya've tried that though.

I put in a new impeller housing with the rubber for the new seals. The upper seals concern me though so i will be doing a pressure test before getting this planter wet again
what concerns ya about which seal?

pressure test is a great idea. i do that on the bench just prior to installing the drive.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Zig, the top of the outdrive seals. I guess if i remember correctly didnt that plastic tube on the top of the water pump also go into a seal. From what i read you have to pull the top of the outdrive apart and jack with the gears and shims to replace the top seals? I prefer a pressure test to that. I can turn a wrench but have much respect for you folks.

ziggy

Admiral

the top of the outdrive seals
i still don't know which seal your referring too. chose your poison below and see if a pic maybe will clarify.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...IRVE+SHAFT+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY+AND+GEAR+ASSEMBLY drive shaft housing and gear assy.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bnbr=70&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY,+COMPLETE gear housing
I guess if i remember correctly didnt that plastic tube on the top of the water pump also go into a seal
that plastic tube is nothing more than a guide to help install the copper water pipe. the seal is on the copper water pipe at the top of the water pump housing and in the water pocket cover. don't mess with a water pocket cover or you'll be sorry.
From what i read you have to pull the top of the outdrive apart and jack with the gears and shims to replace the top seals?
from the drive shaft gear housing assy. link. item 20 can be replaced from the outside. when the upper and lower as disassembled. i've never had the misery of replacing item 21. looks like the last thing to go get after a full tear down of the upper. my suspision is that you won't have to reshim if you change nothing other than the seal. ya change anything else and you'll have to reshim. i may be wrong and i didn't read the book to make that statement. i'm inferring (+from memory) from doing a ft. seal on the upper. if i changed nothing i didn't need to reshim. if i'm wrong about that someone will have to correct me. or ya can look it up in the s/m too. it'll have the facts for sure in it.

the links were for my '75 1 drive. didn't know what ya had.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont buy another shaft that is not your prob.You are not alone, others have drive install probs on occasion also.If youre not on the studs the shaft is not entering the coupler. you knew that.My solution is to try having the drive a little lower or higher( i generally have my skeg on a little stack of boards so remove or add one or two. It likes to be an absolutely straight shot into the coupler(I think)Otherwise the u joints kind of flop to one side or other and create a misalignment of the shaft.Thats my theory anyhow. After hundreds of installs Im still perfecting my technique.Usually it goes on on the ist or second reposition.Have the prop on so you can really crank on splines by turning the prop. Expect it to come out of gear a few times before you actually achieve liftoff.

fishrdan

Admiral

I was thinking like telstar1 posted. Get the drive butted up, press on the back of the drive while turning the prop, so the shaft splines drop into the coupler. You just have to turn the prop the correct way, I always do it the wrong way the first time, then have to lock the drive in FW again and give it a second go.

I do the boards under the skeg also, to get it close, then use the trailer jack to adjust the stern up-down a bit to get it perfect. The drive drops in pretty easy that way, no lifting the drive. Of course a drive stand would work better...

Oh yeah, the alignment tool is a closer fit, tighter tolerance, than the drive shaft,,, so buying another one to test alignment would be a waste.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I too don't think you need to buy the dummy shaft. I seriously doubt you buggered up the splines. A simple visual inspection should tell you that.

It may or may not help with with this install, but one thing I have found handy is the special tool that Mercruiser sells to hold the shift slide in place. I did without it for years, but recently decided to buy one. It is just one less thing to worry about holding in place as you slide everything together. Well worth the couple of dollars it costs. It is pictured here:

DSCF8622.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When it gets in so far and STOPS!!!
Is the unit and the transom assembly in forward gear?
Did you replace the 2 o-rings on the shaft?
Sometimes the groove gets grease in it.
When you push it in it actually swells from the pressure.
Therefor stopping any forward motion.
Take the 2 o-rings off and see if it goes in then.
Still have the old 0-rings? Re-use them.Making sure there is no grease/oil in the groove.
If that won't work a 4x4 and a sledge hammer's next.J

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the unit and the transom assembly in forward gear?
Ditto on Jerry`s reply.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the big sQuare O ring (see arrow) in the housing or on the outdrive?
It wont work when this O ring is on the drive.
just .2
Good luck

Attachments

• 39622-MR-Alpha-one-and-generation-II.jpg
    39622-MR-Alpha-one-and-generation-II.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That big o-ring goes up in the housing.Mercruiser sells a special sealer silicone. Then the drive goes up and seals it.
Put that o-ring up in the bellhousing and see what happens.
The last 1/4" might need to be tightened up using the 6 nuts.J