Starting My Restoration Project

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings All,

I got a 1988 Chaparral 204 Fisherman WA Cuddy with a 1978 175 HP 'rude for a steal.

The motor runs great (120# all cylinders. lower unit pressure tested-no leaks). The exterior just needs to be cleaned up.

There are no soft spots anywhere. It was someone else's project and they partially painted it (above the waterline). I'll finish the bottom paint myself.

I tore out the plywood walls of the cabin (rotted on the bottom) and the plywood cabinet under the helm.

I am going to replace all the wiring.

My question, right now, is what kind of plywood/wood can I use to replace the walls/cabinet/doors/trim. Would oak plywood properly stained and sealed do the trick? Any other suggestions?

I'll post some pictures soon.

Thanks,
Learn2Dive

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting My Restoration Project

Oh my, what kind of plywood? I'm staying out of this one. Just sit back let the posts begin...

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I should also state that I am a professional woodworker.

I was thinking of using 3/4" and 1/2" oak veneer plywood and oak trim.

Or maybe some other kind of plywood with mahogany trim (I have a lot of mahogany).

I also want to make a pulpit. Is mahogany a suitable wood if finished properly?

Learn2Dive

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Mahogany is a GREAT wood for Marine Use. Oak......Not so much. I am 40 year woodworker and would Not advise using oak in a marine environment except White oak and then in limited places. For Cabinets inside the cabin where the wood would have limited exposure to the elements I suppose it would be acceptable but I would still not be inclined to use it. But that's just me. I'm SURE there will be others that will disagree. Mahogany though will be just fine. Heck back in the 30's and 40's that's what most of the boats were made out of.

I'm just sayin...:D

rpastor

Seaman Apprentice

I'll see if I can find some mahogany plywood, then. I have a piece of african mahogany 12/4 6"X48" that I am going to mill for trim or use to make a pulpit. Is mahogany suitable for a pulpit?

How should I plan on finishing the plywood and the hardwood trim? Especially sealing the edges.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!!!

Use the search function and search "Plywood" in this section of the forum. There are thousands of discussions.

Just be sure to seal the wood and use something to afford it UV protection.

Happy Holidays!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check out Epiphanes Marine finish products. They are some of the best and used by the pro's for the Wooden Boats of the past.

I'm just sayin...:D